AuthorTopic: Gladiator  (Read 7597 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Gladiator

Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 09:34:56 pm
ok, sorry i wasnt so clear i was running on empty after a party :P

slash is a basic attack where you basically swing like you are swining a hammer.  Back is similar to a slash except that you begin the swing with your arm in front of you (think backhanding someone but with a sword).  Rise is similar to an uppercut in motion and is used to get under an opponent's guard.  thrust is just a stab.  other common attacks include cut which is almost entirely useless and lunge which is a very powerful thrust.  High, Mid, and Low are the intended parts of the body you are hitting, and are the face, chest, and stomach in that order.  for example, slash high would be a swinging blow to the head.  Closed and open simply refer to when the sword arm is your front arm or rear arm based on the direction you are headed.

As far as keeping this combo, an aggressive combo (which this is) requires that he be moving forward.  if you arent moving your feet, you are defending yourself, which this combo you've chosen is not suited to, though it could be done.  Also, since he had no shield, standing still in closed stance is very dangerous because its astoundingly difficult to pary from closed.  Anyhoo i tihnk the swings should go into each other without those awkward pauses youve got now between movements,  adding followthrough actually will do most of that work for you

Heres an example of how you can make it fluid and move the feet as though he were in real combat:

hope it helps
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 09:26:18 pm
Update at top.

Thanks a lot Adarias, this is all good to know.  I've decided to not make him move forward, because I think that if this were for a game, the moving forward effect would be undesirable.  Wish I considered putting the sword in his lead hand for parrying, though... although I have been going back and forth in my mind about whether to give him a shield or not... so I may just do that.  Anyway thanks again, I'll definately have to keep all this in mind for the future.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 11:01:30 pm
If you keep him moving forward the whole way, it looks pretty casual and detracts from the power of each individual hit. Skilled swordsman cross their feet for only two reasons:

1. Fleche - running "surprise" attack (this would not be used as part of a combo, since the focus is on a single, lightning-fast hit)
2. The distance was misjudged in preparation and the combatant must cover a large retreat quickly to avoid being stabbed.

Crossing feet temporarily puts the swordsman off-balance, creating an opening for the opponent to launch an attack of his own. If we go into pre-planned second intention actions, there could be merit for a feint here, but I doubt a game sprite would need this level of complexity.

Maybe these links can give you some outfit ideas:
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~natek/index_files/Page347.htm
http://www.unrv.com/culture/roman-gladiators.php
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 11:07:13 pm by big brother »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 01:23:14 am
i disagree; in my experience short-sword fighting is all about moving, and the most effective way to move is to continue at a steady rate, pivoting with each step.  With regard to something liek a fleche, thats just nonesense; you cant bring saber technique into fighting with shortswords; its two entirely different styles of combat.  when fighting with shorswrods, it is imperative that you are constantly shifting your stance and moving either forward or back, otherwise your position will be exploited and you will be overwhelmed.  Movement and shifting are also imperative when fighting multiple enemies as a gladiator would be fairly often doing.
As far as the pre-planned attacks, this is to assume that this is a game where each blow automatically succeeds and is met without resistance that way most games do it.  As far as feinting is concerned i really just think you have your mind stuck in fencing, and attempting to fence with a shortsword is going to get you a nice big hole in your face and nothing else.

sorry to be off-topic; i like the eidt a lot and the original issues are cleared up nicely.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 02:25:44 am
wow, id hate to ever be between you two and a sword on a bad day. ;D

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 04:12:53 am
Heehee.

World team, Pan Am Games, Jr. Olympics, and two time All American in foil fencing. National rating in epee and saber, also.  ;)

Never said moving was bad, just crossing legs. The foil is a sport version of the smallsword, which is the natural evolution of the short sword through the rapier. It's like comparing a muzzle loading rifle to an AK-47. The modern techniques are also the result of thousands of years of trial and error, etc.

Oh, well. Just trying to help without getting too technical.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 10:29:33 am
Heehee.

World team, Pan Am Games, Jr. Olympics, and two time All American in foil fencing. National rating in epee and saber, also.  ;)

Never said moving was bad, just crossing legs. The foil is a sport version of the smallsword, which is the natural evolution of the short sword through the rapier. It's like comparing a muzzle loading rifle to an AK-47. The modern techniques are also the result of thousands of years of trial and error, etc.

Oh, well. Just trying to help without getting too technical.

actually, re-reading your post, we might not actually be disagreeing.  In shortsword fighting (Im not saying foil mind, theres a massive difference in the weapon and the technique. a shortsword is about twice as heavy, and twice as broad, and typically shorter), its not really a crossing of the legs, its a pivoting of the entire body, much like in hand to hand combat. its impossible to see in the gif i made though >.< but on every odd step his ass is toward the viewer and every even step its away. 
A mistake is a mistake.