AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] Rose  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Bloobier

• View Profile

[WIP] [C+C] Rose

on: March 16, 2012, 03:33:14 am
Hello, everyone. A couple of weeks ago, I drew this rose in a hand because I thought that I had a good idea of what I wanted to show. I haven't been active here, and I want to make this better to improve my method, but for this, I require advice on how to make this better, so I seek to make this better by listening to the comments that I will (hopefully) be given after posting a thread in this piece's honor. I would really love it if you shared your thoughts on this, even if you only have a few; thank you in advance. Well, here it is!

Offline Bloobier

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C+C] Rose

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:01:40 pm
I realized with the color of the background, there wasn't very much contrast and the hand and rose were hard to see, so I changed the background. Hopefully, this will attract more attention.

Edit: I accidentally double-posted. I'm not used to this forum, so I'm sorry about that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:05:56 pm by Bloobier »

Offline Kain Nobel

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:12:32 pm
Too much dithering on the hand and forearm. The way the hand is holding the flower, I think all you would see would be the very finger tips and not so much else of the digits. The thumb is bent down on the palm and not having anything to do with holding the rose stem, you should fix that. The arm/hand has too many jagged pixels.

I can see a hint of color theory was planned in the product, but they weren't put together very elegantly. For instance, on the rose, you have a yellow/orange highlight meeting a black outline, this is jarring to look at.

EDIT: The yellow background is way too bright and saturated and does nothing to help the image.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:17:35 pm by Kain Nobel »

Offline Bloobier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:27:15 pm
I'm pretty sure I did what you told me, but I'm having trouble with it from here.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:41:40 pm
It's looking better! The hand still has an unnatural pose and the background is really not a very nice color, but it's improved a lot. The flame doesn't look very realistic in the shape, and fire shouldn't have dithering, at least not that much. Dithering is best used sparingly.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:04:12 am
I drew this rose in a hand because I thought that I had a good idea of what I wanted to show
If you don't explain your idea it's pretty hard to help you achieve it ;). Try and make it as easy as possible for people to help by providing some context for your image and what you think your problems are.

Hands can be pretty challenging without the added difficulties of trying to bind them to pixels, however they are very easy to reference given that in all likelyhood you own a pair ;D. I started with a  line drawing of my hand as I might hold a flower and then added a single, lower constrast value for shadows according to a lightsource (as oppose to simply going from very dark on the edges, to very light in the centre of forms)

I recommend trying to make any image function first and foremost with the bare essentials and adding greater fidelity in whatever sense, as needed.

Offline Bloobier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 11:46:03 pm

Thank you very much, both of you. I learned a lot from your recommendations and edit. Facet, I changed the image more to what you edit had, using it as a reference. To make the image more interesting, I made it smaller and put the rose on fire, rather than having a fire in empty space. I am still working on this, but I would like you to see my progress so that you can make sure that I'm leaning in the correct direction.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:33:52 pm
Much more readable :y:

I should clarify however that my recommendation was more inclined towards using your own hand as reference; acting out how you might hold a flower and observing the light first hand. Currently you've got all your digits wrapped round as you might a javelin and I'd expect a more delicate treatment (thumb & forefinger perhaps), especially given the thorny nature of the bloom :P.

I can't say whether or not the flaming flower is more effective without knowing the desired effect.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:35:32 pm by Facet »