AuthorTopic: Astronaught - A pixel adventure  (Read 2851 times)

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Astronaught - A pixel adventure

on: March 11, 2012, 01:53:50 pm
Hello,

I found this forums on a random google stroll and found it quite nice :)

I started with pixel art with around 4 weeks ago. I know my way around with illustration, but i wouldn't say i'm a good artist. But i know some of the basics at least.
Since i'm unexperienced with pixeling i was looking for ways to improve my tiles and animations. I read a few tutorials about different forms of dithering, coloring and shaping, and they all really helped. What i feel would further improve my skill would be some actual feedback and criticism to get a broader perspective on how to solve little problems.

I'm currently working on a horror themed adventure game

There's also a bit of ingame footage found in this video, which is a bit of a shameless plug :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlfBwfTbrA0

I was drafting around with some concept art yesterday. I don't like the pose too much, the arms look twisted and the spine too stiff. However, i think the proportions are quite good. Something i usually have problems with  ::)

So long
wzl

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Astronaught - A pixel adventure

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 02:26:20 pm
The thing that stands out to me the most right now is the use of dithering on small graphics like the player.
Don't do that, it just introduces noise and makes things harder to read. Dithering belongs into larger graphics is anywhere at all.

Also you should post graphics that don't have a gradient slapped on them if you'd like some more in-depth feedback.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Re: Astronaught - A pixel adventure

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 03:41:27 pm
Thanks, i'll keep it in mind and will post future screenshots with the lighting disabled.