AuthorTopic: Hyperwars Remastered  (Read 9889 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Hyperwars Remastered

Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:06:12 am
Thanks.

I think the new version of aircraft look really great, my favourite being the one with the big strobing grille. Looks like it'd have some heavy firepower!
Well it doesn't shoot, it just flies down, having a ton of health so you instantly die if it rams you.

Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 03:21:42 am
Love all of this!

The right arm (left in image) looks better but still too short. Try putting your arm straight down and feel where the elbow ends up poking your ribs.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:59:33 am
Thanks.
Well I dunno, I find it kind of hard to judge the length of arms if this happens:

Update:

Tried adjusting that arm.
Also that keyboard thing you saw there that had a million buttons? Fuck that.

Also portraits are starting to pile up:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:02:36 am by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:16 am
Actually I think it's the shoulder that freaks my brain out. When the shoulder's raised like that, wouldn't it be because the arm supports the body leaning forward = different arm angle? Tried an edit:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 05:51:21 pm
please consider this fist reference

http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/FIST-THROUGH-THE-WALL-psd37380.png

for constructing the ever-popular straight-ahead clenched fist. It's a bit more complicated than it would seem, symbolically.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:03 am
Didn't work on the cutscene pic yet.
Sorry, the hand studies and jiggle physics (yes they will come be afraid) will have to wait for now because explosions.

Progress:
->

->

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:57:34 am by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 01:49:20 am
ive been checking out some of your work lately, and youre clearly very good at animation, i really love your latest effects, particularly the bananas! i wouldnt blame you if you were using a reduced 3d render/reference for it, but if not, id be doubly impressed as they look rotoscoped at that scale and color depth, which is fun :).

for the alien illustration, id say make those tri-tits pop! (lol...) but if its a comedic point, it looks a little on the subtle side. also agree with helm on the fist feedback, it is definitely more complicated than it seems, because the fingers dont align evenly like one would initially think without reference. as it stands now it looks kindof like a strange hammer appendage.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 01:38:33 am
Thanks.
The bananas are prerendered and cleaned up, here's the raw animation:
I wanted a smooth rotation without working on it for hours and hours, especially since it's very basic shapes anyway.
Maybe it would be a good animation practice but a bit pointless otherwise.
I wish I did the same for the mine but it's done and functional so I'm kinda done with that.

No progress on the cutscene again.
I'm programming and making stuff I need in the game right now and that isn't just the cutscene yet.

I've worked on the bosses second form:

and made a new hud:

Is it clear what everything means?

I've also been on adding another player shot.
It's supposed to be a slow moving steamroller with a very low firerate.

Also another tileset:
->
It's less noisy but I'm not sure if it's better.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:20 am
Less noisy is certainly better.

I actually have an instinctive bit of advice on the water tile. Given that you're only using two colours for it, it might be a good idea to try to fatten up the bright lines that make the 'reflective' water surface up, here and there. Because right now it looks too ordered, too much like a marble surface, perhaps. Will you animate that tile? You really should, given that few colours need a counterweight with fluid animation. Try some subpixelling just by introducing half-pixel fatness in the in-between frames of the light color on the water, perhaps?

I really like how you're revamping stuff here, everything so far is a clear step up or two.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:52 am
Thanks.

No I don't think I'll animate tiles.
During some scenes, the whole screen is filled with water tiles and if those were animated choppily, it would be an eyesore and I simply can't animate them as smoothly as I'd need to from a technical standpoint.
It would have to cycle through each tile every x frames and replace its background which will lead to problems due to my "endless scroll" events that have to line up with the current tile layout and it might also eat up performance because game maker.
I can break bones here and there as I already did adding the shadow stencil tile layer but overall, the engine is pretty much done and not to be tampered with.
That's also why I can't have the player have hitscan laser weapons or actual screen clearing bombs.

If I coded that game nowadays, I would do things very differently allowing for various different things I can't have with this engine (and also saving me a lot of work) but now, what I have is what I work with and I don't have animated tiles.

And now, more boring stuff:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:29:54 pm by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix