AuthorTopic: Pixel Art for print (?)  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Mtdex

• View Profile

Pixel Art for print (?)

on: February 28, 2012, 11:50:46 pm
Hello Pixelation!

I'm an illustration enthusiast, and i'm eager to learn about pixel art.
I've been wanting to start trying the thecnic but always got demotivated by don't knowing how to.

Last week, a group of people invited me to a Pixel Art Art Jam for a comic convention; it has to be printed in 11''x17''. I've been looking for tutorials but always focused for screen resolutions only.

Anyone would help me telling me the resolution i need in photoshop to work? i really would appreciate the help.

I leave my humble illustration portfolio website if you want to see my work: www.mtdex.com

P.s. Sorry about the bad english. It's not my mother lenguage.

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Art for print (?)

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:38 pm
How big are your pieces? If you want to print out an 11x17 inch paper then the quality of the print depends on the resolution you want to use (dpi).
Do you use Photoshop? If you want to print at 11x17 then you just need to have the ratio of your drawing be about the same as 11x17. Using the standard 72dpi resolution in Photoshop your drawing would have to be 792x1224 pixels, but then the quality of the print might not be super crispy clear.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:01:10 am by Lilyo »

Offline Mtdex

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:09:12 am
Hi, Lilyo, thank you for responding so fast.

Yeah, i need to make a piece of 11''x17''; when i do non-pixelate stuff, i usually make it at 300dpi.

I've tried to have a 72dpi resolution and then expanding the art into a 300dpi document. I don't know if it's the anti-alias or what, but the pixels get pixelated (?).

I need the print to be, as you say, crispiest as it can.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 12:34:06 am
The best way to do this (in photoshop) with pixel art is to first make your resolution 300dpi. Paste your pixel art on a canvas of that resolution. Then crop it to fit the pixel art. Then change your image size to 11x17 and make sure it's set to nearest neighbor instead of bicubic. That will allow you to print pixel art without the blurry pixels. It will of course still be pixelated though. I hope that helps.

Offline Mtdex

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:10 am
Thanks for your response, Slym. I'm trying that way but gets too blurry. How do i set nearest neighbor instear of bicubic?

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:26:07 am
Can we see the piece you're supposed to print? If you use Photoshop click Nearest Neighbor when resizing, if you're using paint.net click preserve edges or something.

Just post the original unresized image and I could do it for you if you want.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 01:27:38 am by Lilyo »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:16 am
Did you see the drop menu that said bicubic when you changed the image size? It should be below the forms for the dimensions. It will have about 6 options and Nearest Neighbor is one of them.