AuthorTopic: help needed (newbie)  (Read 3703 times)

Offline cugs90

• View Profile

help needed (newbie)

on: June 01, 2006, 02:10:22 pm
hi guys 1st post ya! :P

anyway let me introduce myself, my name is Jarrod i live in Australia and i just recently got into pixelart and I'm loving it  ;D
orionally i started getting into pixel art on the tip.it/forum's (runescape forums) but the future with pixel art doesn't look too bright there :P for those who may know me from tip.it/forum I'am 'gandorf_101' he he

anyway i suppose i will ask my question my question is basically can you give me some help with improving on where I'am up to ATM... this is my latest piece of work.. (keep in mind I'am very new to pixeling this being about my 5th pixel..

another example of my work:

anyway do whatever u can to help me and feel free to edit my image to explain anything will be much appreciated

Thanks guys and i look forward to becoming an active member of the community :)

p.s hey godslayer if u see this message :P

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Re: help needed (newbie)

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 02:30:57 pm
Hi I used to go and post work on Tip.It and I rarely do and I only stalk here :P.
Anyways you anatomy is completely buggerd so yes if I were you I'd start again.
Did God Slayer show you this site ?

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 05:00:23 pm
That's a perty good attitude  :D

To improve: Check out the Tools, Tuts, and Linkage thread in general discussion. You will find it VERY informative, especially tutorial-wise. Many many techniques there regarding pixel-pushing.
Of course, you should practice the techniques contained within. Lurk a bit in these forums, I think you will find other's works to be inspiring...
Mess around a bit with your paint program, you know. Especially after the tuts and while lurking. It's a somewhat slow (actually, not that slow) progression, but eventually, you would probably produce something you feel really confident about. Post that, recieve crits, remember crits, rinse, wash, repeat.

Crits I can offer on: Color conservation + Contrast. I'm no good at anatomy, so I'd be a hypocrite to berate you on that, haha.
First Piece: Dithering metals *generally* makes the texture dirty and non-metalish. Hair doesn't flow. The text shows rudimentary understanding of AA, but AA can still be learned further (lurk around for that, because AA is quite a different skill to master).
Oh, and the lion pic in the bg, is that hand-pixeled? (We generally frown upon non-hand-pixelage).
Second Piece: Already mentioned Color conservation + Contrast. Will mention again.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:52:56 pm
Since when do we "frown on non-hand-pixelage" Asian Gamer? I don't think a little bit of it in the background is really a shame. The font was obviously not hand AAed either, who cares? He's just starting out, it's okay for him to take some shortcuts, you can't expect him to draw up an entire font and background on his first few pieces can you?

cug90: Welcome to pixelation! The first two posts came on a little strong, but contain some truth. On the first piece you can see yourself how your anatomy doesn't work out. I'd start with some semi-naked poses (vikings are always fun to draw). The second piece is nice already, but needs more contrast on the face. Even white skin casts dark shadows...

Offline cugs90

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 12:18:10 am
thankyou guys for the help

rerg1: yeh i know my anatomy is way off im currently practicing scetching anatomy.. :P

Crazy: thanks for the tips and i will work on what u said and the lion is a render and the text was not AA'd by me sorry, i do know that not 100% pixel is frowned upon but i wouldnt have done it if i knew i was going to post it on this forum :P but yeh  i basically know that principle thanks :)

gil: thankyou for the welcome, im also a fan of harsh c/c truth doesnt hurt me :P so its fine :) and yeh with some of the things i wasnt sure how to do metal, and i definatly thing this is a problem caused with maybe my poor colour choice :)

thankyou all.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 01:15:17 am
Its good to see a promising pixel artist who seems to actualy care about getting better come from TIF. I just hope this place doesn't get oversaturated by us. Its nice to see someone say take into acount the crits I give there, and I'm sure you'll get 10x better CC here.

Hope to see your progress in pixel goes well, goodluck.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline cugs90

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 07:38:48 am
thx for the kind comments gs :)