AuthorTopic: Hex nut  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Hex nut

on: January 21, 2012, 05:33:30 pm
Alright, I don't know why but I'm having a ton of trouble animating a pixelized hex nut.

This is what I'm trying to draw, however I can't manage to get the shape to look right from the side without using what ends up being too much anti-aliasing for the project I'm working on.
Is there a trick to drawing this sort of thing or is this about the best outcome I'm going to get?

The reason I'm worried about this is that it's going to be seen a LOT.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Hex nut

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 06:55:59 pm
Can you not go bigger? I'm afraid your chosen size is simply too small to convey the needed detail that they have 6 sides and are rotating.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:57:23 pm by Mathias »

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:54 pm
Can you not go bigger? I'm afraid your chosen is simply too small to convey the needed detail that they have 6 sides and are rotating.
I'm stuck at 16x16 or smaller.
Tried a few more times and it's looking like you're pretty much right.
Perhaps I'll use something else altogether since this is proving way too difficult.

Most recent attempt (and admittedly awful):

2 Frame test (somehow looks better then anything else thus far IMO):
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:00:23 pm by Vine »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:01:29 pm
I haven't attempted this, but the way I would do it would be to use actual rotation to figure out how it should look in each frame. Choose how many frames you want, and therefore the increment of rotation.

360° (degress total) / 6 (sides) = 30°. So if you use 30° or a multiple of it, there will be no difference between frames. What angle increment are you trying?

Why a hex but? Try something else.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:08:12 pm
You're extremely limited in what you can do with such a small resolution, so why are you limiting yourself even further by not using the entire 16x16? You have to remember at this resolution you don't have the room to define edges and points, and all the shapes just turn into blobs and circles.

Anyways like Mathias said I don't think you're going to be able to accomplish what you're trying to do at this resolution. Even if you got precise and wrote code that drew the lines for you and mathmatically handled the angles it still wouldn't end up with shapes that reflect the object you're trying to portray.

However, are you able to take a different approach on this? Maybe if you try another perspective you can put less of the burden of defining the object on the outline and more on lighting and form, which may allow you to easier animate these complex shapes in smaller resolutions.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:14:06 pm by Dusty »

Offline Vine

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:17:14 pm
Even if you got precise and wrote code that drew the lines for you and mathmatically handled the angles it still wouldn't end up with shapes that reflect the object you're trying to portray.
It's funny you say that because I actually began thinking about the angles and whatnot, but at this resolution nothing good will come of it.
EDIT: Just now saw your updated post, I though of rotating the nut similar to how yours is positioned, perhaps I'll give that an attempt real quick:

Why didn't I just do that earlier, so much easier and looks better too ;p
Thanks a ton!

I haven't attempted this, but the way I would do it would be to use actual rotation to figure out how it should look in each frame. Choose how many frames you want, and therefore the increment of rotation.
Why a hex but? Try something else.
I did this and re-drew over the rotated sprite to make it mostly match the theme I had in mind, however it simply doesn't turn out as I hoped.
I suppose I don't necessarily need a hex nut, the main character is a robot though so it seemed fitting. I would like something relatively round in shape though, even a star could work.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:37:23 pm by Vine »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:37:15 am
Perfect solution. Wish I'd thought of it.

Now I'm reminded of Banjo-Kazooie, for the N64, where you collect hexagonal honey comb pieces, much like your hexagonal nut. And yep, it spins sideways.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:15 pm
there's just one curious silouhetto jumps that need to be fixed in that rotation.

Offline Weapon S

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:18:29 pm
Rotation is one of the cases where 'convincing' isn't necessarily 'realistic'. You'd need to add some asymmetries: for instance in the center hole; even the actual rotation speed can also be varied 'asymmetrically'.
Edged objects so small could benefit from a (unrealistic and ugly) spike. Especially in the frames where it's between 'straight' positions.
I edited to show what I mean: