AuthorTopic: [C&C] 8-Bit Mockups  (Read 7986 times)

Offline StevenM

• View Profile

Re: [C&C] 8-Bit Mockups

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 01:30:39 am
:y:
The car is to small for any of the characters. Also: aren't De Loreans longer that that?

Yes and yes, but I think if I resized the car in proportion to the characters, then it would make the player's range of maneuverability smaller and the level that much harder to navigate. It may be more practical in the long run to keep the sprite smaller.

I didn't think this thread was still alive, but I've been humming away on the engine demos and the graphics - mostly I was motivated by the recent Arkh Project, IMO a sort of How Not To guide in terms of marketing a game online. Screenshots!

A graphical improvement on the ghost ship level, a junkheap serving as a training session, and a bluefish robot with a disappearing-reappearing green block shield respectively. It's interesting - I used the GBC specs sheet as reference for the graphics, so I generally try to stick to the '3 colours + transparency' rule on sprite palettes, along with the 'correct' color choices, but almost everything else (sprite limit, resolution) seems to have gone out of the window.  :-[

Full layout of the aforementioned ghost ship level without the in-game layer effects, if you're interested
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:35:22 am by StevenM »

Offline StevenM

• View Profile

Re: [C&C] 8-Bit Mockups

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 05:46:35 am
More sprites. I'm concentrating on the first level of the demo and getting down to brass tacks with animation. This is generally my least favourite part of the process because it's time-consuming to create additional frames and to make sure they 'flow' well (smooth transition). I can usually motivate myself to achieve Hanna-Barbera levels of economical animation, though.

Your first playable character, whose head is not completely screwed on:

And a WIP spritesheet of one of the enemies, whose head isn't screwed on at all: