AuthorTopic: Help me  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Satsume

• ~
    • View Profile
    • Deviant

Help me

on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:17 pm
Hello guys, I don't post often here (I know English only a little), but now I've got a problem, and I need help to solve it.
I don't know why my art is always an epic fail, I do it all by myself, and I don't think I'm a noob (maybe).
I want to understand if my methods to make pixel art are wrong, colours, shades, anatomy, perspective, I don't know... Maybe it's all of that, but I've seen people doing pixel art with an ugly lineart or stupid errors, but their works are viewed and rated more than mine. =/
I need to understand how I can improve, and I hope to fix all of my problems...

for the ones who don't know me, i post some example of my pixel art (or click on my gallery in sign)
(from most recent)

for more works http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp

thanks at all.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Help me

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:08 pm
Your problem is believing that viewings and ratings are a good indicator of quality of work. what you have here is good.

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:51 am
None of your pieces are really finished. They lack the final touches and need more clearer shapes. You have great outlines, colors and understanding of anatomy (I think). But you need to spend atleast 2-3 more hours at finishing them.

And don't think about the views and ratings as they can depend on many things such as how many pixel friends you have in a community how "popular" you are, and what style you use etc. Even I don't get many views favs etc, but I don't care because the only thing that matters is what you think of yourself!

Good luck, with you're drawings and self esteem.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:59:50 am
"Look at meee. look at MEEEE!"
</unconstr>

if you wanted to start a real discussion about pixel art, technique, quality, examples, study, reference, etc, im sure you could wind up being credited for starting a really great thread.

otherwise... i can say that i enjoy the abe's odyssey mockup.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:24:10 am
I used to feel the same way.  Sometimes I still do. 
Art is a funny thing.  There are so many aspects to what makes art appealing, such as form, color, perspective, mood, dynamics, etc.  It goes on an on.  It's really a process of continuous learning.  I think every pixel artist struggles with at least one aspect of it.  And it's subjective.  What one persons loves, another might not like.   There are some real masters out there, but I'm sure they got there with hard work and perseverance.  This is what makes forums like this so valuable.  You quickly get an idea of what parts you should be working on.
You're certainly not a noob.  You best peice imo is:  http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/53592.htm#    It's a very appealing peice.  Color, mood, everything.  The peices you posted here aren't bad at all, but seem to be missing something. 
I'm far from an expert, but the first one "Ascension~"  The light from the upper left isn't working as a light source.  And the wings should be a lot bigger to create a more dynamic pose.  And about the pose:  It's seems to have some sort of twist I don't understand.  I hope that helps.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:17:38 am
I'd say you have a mix of slight but basic flaws (shading, anatomy) plus not enough refining.
Most of these pieces are rather large: I'd recommend to work on small things for a while and just push them as far as you can.

A few pointers: your avatar has short legs and torso and/or long arms.
PearKnight is mostly texture and little light source.
Fossil I'm not so sure about ;) I loved the metallic texture/light you gave it but I wonder if it was really intentional? because the flat bg just kills it. At best it was lazy.
Ascension has anatomy issues, an awkward pose, and the shading doesn't accord to the suggested light source.

None of these pieces is bad, don't misunderstand me! But they're not that good either; at least nothing that you couldn't fix with more patience.

Give your art the time you deserve! ;)

Offline Satsume

• ~
    • View Profile
    • Deviant

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:12 pm
thanks to all guys for answering me.
I've understood much things, i must put more time to refine my work. =D