AuthorTopic: Cat Biscuit  (Read 3901 times)

Offline alenacat

• View Profile

Cat Biscuit

on: May 31, 2006, 02:09:23 pm
I'm doing a simple flash interactive game for my site. Here's a sample.

C&C appreciated

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Cat Biscuit

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:02:38 pm
Globally, it's ok, i like the cute pose, the little paws hugging. Specifically, it has a few places where it can be improved greatly.

The head makes it look like a rhino (because of head and ears shape, and that horn looking thing), but the legs and paws are more cat like. Maybe you could find some reference to tweak out some anatomy details, like the anterior furthest paw, or the volume of the torso (the back and belly look a bit weird, and the head) - even if it's a blue alien cat or whatever, solid reality based anatomy makes it sooo much better.

The shading on the body looks pillow-shaded, not so much on the tail. You seem to have a light source from above, and the shading on the posterior closest paw follows this, but the rest of the piece is mostly "add lighter color to the middle of area, gradient uniformly until outline". Try to follow the lightsource more closely.

Dithering needs to be more uniform throughout, you've dithered the darker colors into the lighter, but the lighter ones should also dither into the darker areas.
The bright selout on the tail has a darker area near the middle, i don't think it should be there.

I may do an edit later today.
Good luck with the piece and the game, and make sure you tell us when it's playable :)

Offline alenacat

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:39:37 pm
He is an alien! :D Here's another few pics
http://www.deviantart.com/view/26038676/ (Flash 8 req.)
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25999720/

Wow, this is a great critique, I'll try to take it in, I know I have a long way to go.

I didn't want to dither the shadows, to give a semi-shiny effect like plasticene.
More frames coming soon

Offline alenacat

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:51:27 pm
I really need help with this one. I can never work out where a shadow needs to be placed. I looked in an Andrew Loomis book, and I have a feeling this would be right if it were a flat surface, maybe. But it's a box so. Argh, I can't get my head around it.  ???

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 04:55:50 pm by alenacat »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:28:05 am
This is what i meant:

Hope that's helpful.

Regarding the shadows, they look ok to me, but i'd improvise more. Maybe make the shadow from the flaps reach near the bottom of the box. The diagram for the shadows confuses me a bit, i don't quite get this lighting theory yet, and something doesn't look right.

Offline alenacat

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 03:01:48 pm
I really like the torso there and I'm going to edit in yours if you don't mind. I want the head to retain some similar shading. looking at the way you dithered, Turbo was a GREAT help.

He's been called an alien, a rhino, a llama. what next?!? ;)

BUNNIES!