AuthorTopic: Gun-Cannon Slurpee  (Read 3394 times)

Offline pixelPinoy

• View Profile

Gun-Cannon Slurpee

on: May 31, 2006, 08:24:05 am
Just a practice piece.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Gun-Cannon Slurpee

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:11:23 am
Sorry but this is no pixelart. It does not look like you put much thought into the placement of specific pixels. The thing that makes pixelart pixelart is that you control the placement of each pixel as well as the palette to be exactly how you want it. Just drawing with the pentool or any tool that gives pixelated lines does not constitute pixelart.

Try doing smaller stuff.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline pixelPinoy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:15:31 pm
Thanks for checking it out.  :D

It does not look like you put much thought into the placement of specific pixels

Uhm...took me at least 3 days of thinking and doing {where to put}...each pixel.  This is exactly how I wanted it at the best of my noob abilities.

Cheers.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 12:20:39 pm
I see colored lineart. No pixel techniques. This just makes it difficult to critique you see, because this is a pixel art board. the best I can do is offer structure critique and color pointers, but you'd do quite a bit better on that end if you posted this on a more general art critique board.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 03:23:13 pm
I think you guys are being too generic in your statements, thus not very helpful. And greeting new people very badly.

pixelPinoy, i think this piece has potential, but your techniques are lacking - normal for newbs :). Specifically, the things that bother me the most, from the more blatant to less, are:

Shading style - your shading is very messy. I couldn't even tell that was a robot until i looked at it for a while. Use the shading to indicate the volume of the shapes, and don't add unnecessary curves if they will break that feel. Also, you added unnecessary reflection "effects" on the robot which further confuse the eye. If you don't know how an object should look, try doing a smaller piece and/or look at real life examples, try to replicate them. Don't wing it, so it won't suck.

Lineart cleanliness - the lines, though clean (not many 2 pixel wide 'dirty' lines) look irregular in most places. If the robot is made of round shapes, it's good to convey that with lines that flow smoothly. You have a few lines here and there that "break" or don't flow that well.

Color choice - i don't understand why you chose to color the lines of the robot with two different colors, since they don't follow any logic nor add anything necessary - if anything, it further distracts the viewer. Also, the colors for the girls hair make it look very "noisy".

Lurk for a bit, check the threads, read the comments, take a look at the lineart thread, and you'll become much better, and in time, be able to address these issues with confidence. Hope you take these comments as an intention to help learning and improvement, not in a personal offense one (cause they're not).

Offline pixelPinoy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 12:49:05 am
Thanks for the additional feedback Turbo and Helm.  Obviously I don't know what I'm doing :D so your comments can only be good for me.

I'lll be back in awhile. 

Peace