AuthorTopic: Apple  (Read 9391 times)

Offline Teh_jules

• View Profile

Apple

on: December 21, 2011, 11:20:04 am
I just wasted 2 hours making this F'N apple and its not even decent. Pixel artists
makes pixel art look easy and fun but this really freaking hard and frustrating!  >:(
:mean:

Offline blue

• BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING
    • View Profile
    • pixelgiri

Re: Apple

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:03:58 pm
Welcome to the grime n' grind stage, that comes from after you've decided that you want to become good at something, maybe even great. But you realize that this will not be given to you for free, like any other great skill or talent, it comes at a price of personal sacrifice. You will have to earn it through dedicated effort. Hours upon hours of hard work chiseling away at that rough mineral because you know in your heart of hearts it will one day be a polished diamond.

The only way to justify the time and effort is if you think it's worth it. And that's a personal decision you must make.

So... this apple that you have crafted is a great start. I could spend hours making an apple.

What can we learn from it?
How many colors did you use?
Is that really a bite? There are no teethmarks... try adding some.

We'll continue this conversation on msn.

Offline Teh_jules

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:25:52 pm
*sigh* just the 2 hours i spent on this made me sick and you want me to dedicated more effort!?

-Jaggie lines
-5 colors
just the little thing on the top was hard to make and now you want
real teeth marks?

Not that i'm lazy and complaining its just that this is really!!!! hard

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:42:51 pm
Hello! I made you a quick edit.

First of all, you should work smaller. This way you can concentrate more on the pixels themselves, and experiment with Anti-aliasing. If you outline things, try to outline everything, and adjust the color of the outline according to the lighting. This is because you don't have so much space, at a larger resolution a black outline would work, but as things get smaller, colors bleed together, so the outline becomes a median of the interior and outline color.

Try not to work on a white background, work on something neutral that won't affect how your eyes perceive the piece. Extremely dark, light, or saturated palettes will not blend will with a majority of colors and can be an eyesore. Grays work with most everything.

Don't be too worried about color count, at this point if you need a color and you don't have it, feel free to add it. When you get more experienced you will be able to make more manageable palettes that can be applied to many situations.

Don't get discouraged! Just work smaller. c: Perhaps an object is a bit too much to take in at this point? You could try to learn how to apply anti-aliasing to simple shapes and go from there! Work on your traditional art skills along side pixel art, pixel art is only one half of the battle, and once you get it down it's a breeze, the part many struggle with is the actual drawing portion. If you can't draw well, you won't have anything to apply good pixel skills towards.

Offline Teh_jules

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 06:48:27 pm
Nice job dude! ten times better than mines =/

(Sorry if i sound negative but its just the way i am)

I barely understood what said said but i don't even know how to
use AA i just know its use to make things smoother and if i did
a little apple in that should normally take maximum 10 mins in 2h
its already staring out bad :'(

"Don't get discouraged!" easy to say but hard to do!!
and if i must know how to draw then its useless to
continue!

Its whole thing is really discouraging sorry if it sounds like
i'm complaining.

Offline julietklaar

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 07:00:02 pm
don't get discouraged already! you just started!
hey, how about you try to look at some tutorials? deviantart.com has some good ones.
then just keep trying, experimenting and if you need any more advice you can post again here :]

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:19 pm
First that apple was decent.  Second, quit whin...jk  No, but I suggest saving that apple edit, studying it and try to create your own.
Maybe put it right next to it even.  That's how I learn.  try to recreate it exactly or something similar.  Will give you the feel for creating, plus it's a good one to start with due to the size.
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:41:58 pm
Yeah, it took me a year or two before I could make anything passable (I was pretty young, but still). Just keep practicing. That's all there is to it.

Offline blue

• BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING
    • View Profile
    • pixelgiri

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:08 pm
YOSH!

Now add a green worm to your apple, coming out of the bitten part and wrapping around the apple!

You got this!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:17 pm
I think that at the moment adding more to the image at this point is counter productive. Perhaps he should refine what he has first before adding more content? For example, making the bite taken out of the apple reflect the shape of the apple more would be a great step forward and we can help him towards that end. And then jules will probably have learned enough to make the worm in much less time and effort than if he attempted now.