AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 244024 times)

sonic_reaper

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : RRRAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Reply #380 on: September 04, 2007, 08:29:55 pm
Just taking a stab at the face (lol?) since I can't decipher the bodily details off of the sprites alone;

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:32:16 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #381 on: September 04, 2007, 10:10:00 pm
Sonic_reaper hi, this isn't your thread but here's some critique anyway:  Study facial structure fundamentally. The facial features are squished and piled on the bottom of the face, and the implied perspective is extreme. You're improvising facial anatomy and shapes.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #382 on: September 04, 2007, 10:18:11 pm
Yes, while I like your image here, helm's illustration for huZba's piece is just as appropriate for this illustration.

This thread is for all of my work related to partisan tactics battles, but anyone here may feel free to post related pieces, and I have no trouble with them receiving critique.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #383 on: September 05, 2007, 03:54:14 am
Random mini-update :

I'm really not setup for hardcore pixelling yet, as my mouse has not arrived and I am still getting used to pixelling by touch-screen, but I just thought this was a bit of fun :

Bleach fans should know this guy right-off.  He might turn up in-game for an optional quest, or he might just be a for-fun doodle.  Being a non-commercial endeavor consisting of entirely self-produced work on licensed programs, I don't think we can get chewed out for such caricatures in our project, but if we can, let us know!

Needs more Bankai. (j/k)

Also, the amount of critique on the portrait is amazing, it really shows the strength of this community.

sonic_reaper

Reply #384 on: September 05, 2007, 03:45:31 pm
Well, that's what art classes are for.  But seriously the only thing I've really studied is anatomy, I'm very familiar with what a face should look like.  Looking back at it anyway, he sure is damn ugly.  For some reasons my portraits always turn out ugly looking.  Anyway, I did another one, but I think I made Roarc look way too old here?  Oh, the hair looks funny cause it's simply a resize/rotate of the hair from the other piece.  I might as well take this time to say that I think the graphics that Adarias has created are great.  They're really unique IMO, and are definitely well crafted.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 03:50:15 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #385 on: September 05, 2007, 06:55:44 pm
Helm's crit on sonic's old one is still valid here. The parts of the face seem to be crafted individually first, then arranged. They don't seem to be constructed directly onto the shape of the head. For instance, the ear is at a slightly different angle than everything else in both versions (the positioning looks odd, too). The lighting makes the major facial shapes look lumpy and confusing, rather than clean and concise. Sorry to divert the thread from Adarias's work. 

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #386 on: September 05, 2007, 07:37:32 pm
Well, that's what art classes are for.  But seriously the only thing I've really studied is anatomy, I'm very familiar with what a face should look like.

Seriously, I believe you believe this. But

more training necessary. I say this to myself as well. My edit isn't great by any stretch, but it shows you some problems. The facial characteristics are all bundled in closely, not in the right 3d planes, and look at the collarbone as well while you're at it. More real-life studies! moooooooore

sonic_reaper

Reply #387 on: September 05, 2007, 08:04:14 pm
Ok.  Sorry to divert the thread by the way.  Wasn't my intention.  Was actually inspired by Adarias' graphics.  The collar bone is terrible on mine, agreed.  Your edit has the head too elongated IMO (speaking stylistically).  And noses come in different sizes, shapes, slopes and so on.  Basically the angle of the head needs to be corrected on mine.  And my color choices kinda suck.  And the lighting just doesn't know what it wants to do.   :-\
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:08:22 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #388 on: September 05, 2007, 08:33:13 pm

because a lot of the upper head is obscured by hair ( and ridiculous hairstyles, especially in anime where the heads are really strangely constructed I JUST HAD TO MENTION IT DON'T KILL ME) a lot of people have a pretty wrong idea on how much head there is actually in a head. Perhaps mine was a bit overdone, but let's keep thinking of reality when we stylise, not stylisations of reality.

sonic_reaper

Reply #389 on: September 05, 2007, 08:57:18 pm
You seem to be assuming that I jumped right to the hair.  I'm not home right now, otherwise I would upload the original without the hair.  Remember that the hair was simply pasted on.  I made sure the head was correct before doing so.  I'm pretty anal about these things myself  :crazy:  It looks strange because I guess

a.  the hair is low, though this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the hairline

b.  the hair wasn't "made" for the head, if that makes any sense.

I appreciate all the constructive criticism you give though, not only in this thread, but pretty much on this entire site.  I think the major problem here is that I was lazy and should have just constructed the hair from scratch, as opposed to pasting it on.

I was once told that the way a person draws a face from memory is the way their own face is assimilated.  Looking in the mirror, I have a wide, heart shaped face, with a slightly pointed nose.  I've actually noticed that's the way I draw my faces as well.  Perhaps the same applies to the way you draw faces, and to which you are inherently drawn.  For example, in that last image you posted, I find that head to be rather strange, since it's so long and oval, whereas mine (at least it looks to me) more round.