AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243969 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Slight change of Pace

Reply #280 on: April 25, 2007, 09:18:01 pm
Just a note that comparing helm's edit and the original side-by-side, the first feels very unexperienced and carefree, which usually isn't a quality you'd want in a soldier or any game that is battle-oriented.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #281 on: April 25, 2007, 09:57:52 pm
Just a note that comparing helm's edit and the original side-by-side, the first feels very unexperienced and carefree, which usually isn't a quality you'd want in a soldier or any game that is battle-oriented.

We understand that, yup. 

We have also made a decision to take the cute carefree approach to the graphics ^^ :

got rid of the horizontal movement:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 10:08:32 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #282 on: May 02, 2007, 05:51:16 am
Time for a small bumpdate. I think the title screen was posted on this board some months ago but the animation has been redone yesterday.
Even tough the isn't pixel art, I'm sure we could receive some valid crits on it so let's go :
http://fil.razorback.free.fr/Partisan/Pixelation_title.html (483 kb)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #283 on: May 02, 2007, 06:43:49 am

I challenge Adarias to make a silluette of this animation and then tell me it makes sense.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #284 on: May 02, 2007, 09:42:56 am

I challenge Adarias to make a silluette of this animation and then tell me it makes sense.

it looks like he's punching his helmet with his left hand... or atleast he swings it like crazy... also, it's hard to be able to see what that foot is doing there at one frame. I would dl and slow speed it, but I'm lazy >D
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #285 on: May 02, 2007, 10:34:34 am
Moving away from the animations, I think the vastly different designs for male/female sprites isn't helping the clarity of your classes.
If it isn't possible to individualise them through exclusion (males can become classes females can't, and vice versa) then I think you need to make the differences in their design less pronounced. Giving them the same design, but a different idle pose could do this quite nicely. Give the girls a stance that shows off their curves.

I say this because rather than easily distinguising between sex through your current designs, the different sexes in some cases look as different to each other as one class and another, without clearly being male or female. Because of this, if you made the designs more unifrom, you could use some of the headwear designs of the females to distinguish better between like classes. This would be particularly useful within the warrior classes, where all their helmets are the same, save for some slightly different ornimentation.

Just some ideas, hope they help. Keep up the good work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #286 on: May 02, 2007, 01:16:05 pm
id rather not make the genders particularly pronounced tbh, and im certainly not going to be showing off the girls sexuality >.<.  Ill see what i can do, though.

could you possibly highlight some problematic classes?  this is one fo the problems i have all the time - the classes and genders are very visible to me as the designer.

Here is an image with them all jumbled to make pairing a little harder.  Are there any that you really cannot put together?

About the image - I cannot tell you that the sillhouette reads well, but - particularly with the cloak - im not experienced to know how to make it so.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:33:21 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #287 on: May 02, 2007, 01:40:55 pm
I made a quick edit and I really think you should lower the arm/hands on the back perspective. That's how it looks like for me when you compare it to the front view

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #288 on: May 02, 2007, 02:16:53 pm
I made a quick edit and I really think you should lower the arm/hands on the back perspective. That's how it looks like for me when you compare it to the front view

wow, that's simple and really effective.  thanks!
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #289 on: May 02, 2007, 03:40:24 pm
I'd suggest to check a spacing on arms - perhaps pretty quick(messy, time shortage) edit=)

I concentrate on readability - shoulders swing is really drastic to the right side.