AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 244147 times)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Alergic to nuts?

Reply #240 on: March 17, 2007, 03:12:17 am
I really really really like the character sheets.  I think they're excellently pixeled.  But it's still not easy for me to group them into classes based on appearance.  I think that color coordination, especially in the head/hair, would be a quick, easy way for me to group them together while looking at a diverse playing board.  Things like clothing style are hard to pick out, especially at a small scale, and it's not the first thing one would pick up on.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Alergic to nuts?

Reply #241 on: March 17, 2007, 04:44:17 pm
Damn! The new characters <jaw drops>
I have been following this thread from the start and compared to the old ones, this ones are very polished that it is shining. Beautiful detailed design and the variety of colors blends so well. You win the Internets. <saves pic> Oh and I also agree that 2x view is for the win.  :y:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:46:22 pm by Froli »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Now with Pimp shades

Reply #242 on: March 26, 2007, 10:45:18 pm
Thanks everyone for the interest.  If you want to read more regular updates, follow the link in ym signature to our blog.

latest breakthrough:  thanks to fil's hard work this last weekend, we now have a great system for shadows!  and we can change the colors :P

now way to extend the legnths or change the directions of shadows though without making separate maps.  oh well.

still needs quite a bit of fine-tuning to get rid of gappies, but it's there.

Also, i began working on the running animation for the Paladin.  He's still extremely rough, but im just putting here because i have it:

Also, i don't know how many saw this over at pixeljoint, and i tihnk i might have posted it here in a different thread as an example of wireframe, but i realised that it never made it all the way to this thread

still haven't addressed teh crits I got elsewhere since i hadn't heard what people over here had to say.  the angles of the sword are going to change a bit and i want to change some frames around to give the sword more power (even if it is mythril and it's weight in the game is next to nothing)

I really really really like the character sheets.  I think they're excellently pixeled.  But it's still not easy for me to group them into classes based on appearance.  I think that color coordination, especially in the head/hair, would be a quick, easy way for me to group them together while looking at a diverse playing board.  Things like clothing style are hard to pick out, especially at a small scale, and it's not the first thing one would pick up on.

Colors are by team and faces are individualized, though the hats placed over these for all but the highly important characters should help bring classes together.  Because of this, while i value your input, i cannot act on it in this particular case.  Do you have any ideas on how to make them more distinct withinthose parameters?

Heres an idea : if anyone the feels out-of-place in these groups, could you tell me why? that way i can make them fit together better.

I really do want to solve any issues, but changing color or hairstyles isnt going to happen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:01:58 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #243 on: March 26, 2007, 11:13:35 pm
Don't change the weight on the swords. It's a very common and very wrong misconception that swords weigh a lot. A two handed claymore was about the same weight and speed as a katana, don't be fooled by whatever Conan and japanophiles tell you...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #244 on: March 27, 2007, 01:08:29 am
Gil - don't you think though that a even 4lb weapon would swing with a little more force than what's shown there?  if not, ill leave it be - less work for me!
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #245 on: March 27, 2007, 01:29:01 am
I think it looks fine. I mean, the dude's trained to handle swordery and such suches, so I don't see why he'd have any more carry-through or wind-up than he has now (which is what I assume you mean by "more power"). He's muscley under all that armor, I bet.

BTW, red shadows look friggin awesome. Sunsety.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #246 on: March 27, 2007, 01:34:01 am
Looking great.

2 things on the animations which jumped into my eyes:

The paladin looks like he is spearing the ground infront of him when running with the, well, spear.

And in that swordslash anim the shield does funny stuff when it eases back *wobbelwobbel*

Other than that, awesome stuff!  :y:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #247 on: March 27, 2007, 02:05:27 am
Nice animation.=)
Spear run looks a bit strange, it just not comfortable to run like that - hard to keep balance.
if I would run with a stick i'll be holding it this way.

From old studies:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:10:43 am by Fool »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #248 on: March 27, 2007, 02:24:54 am
thanks for the help you guys, ill take those ideas into account when i edit next
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #249 on: March 27, 2007, 02:48:18 am
In the groups, the two groups that have members with their hoods up (cloacks, i guess.) seem too mistakable for one another. Looking really great, i like the red shadows as well, the environments are looking faaaabulous.