AuthorTopic: s'been a while!  (Read 3599 times)

Offline threesided

• think threesided
    • View Profile
    • THREESIDEDPOLYGON

s'been a while!

on: December 10, 2011, 07:48:49 pm
Hey Pixelation, long time no see.

I've been a bit out of the pixel game due to other commitments (and using other mediums) but a recent post by Atnas at TIGs and a contract I picked up have resulted in me making stuff again!

So here's all I've got so far, for an iOS game:

That's about it for now, should have a lot more to show come Christmas ;)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: s'been a while!

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:39:29 am
this looks like a really fun concept to play.

i've love to see hows this looks when its animated.

also i have to note that the shoelaces are an adorable little touch.  :lol:

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 02:49:57 pm
awesome. rock face can be really tricky to get to look just right but you have a lot of intricate cuts and face angle variations in your border. if anything id say that im some places there appears to be almost too much. Im thinking the larger rocks could still look quite nice being a bit more flat, which will help break up some of the uniformity of the texture effect itself. that way your border will have some focal points that your eye will be naturally drawn towards, and other areas where your eyes can catch a break from all that cut rock texture effect.

the falling kid looks really cute! Its just personal opinion of taste for me saying this, but i have never been a fan of green and blue being primary colors for a character (classic example would be green hoodie with lighter blue wash pants) - and even moreso when you throw in something of a red accent color. Have you had any other ideas about palette choices for your main character by any chance? Again if youre happy with it, dont mind me and my silly opinions.

Offline threesided

• think threesided
    • View Profile
    • THREESIDEDPOLYGON

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:01:16 am
Hey St0ven, thanks for the kind words. We've discussed briefly about changing the colour scheme of the main character, and I totally didn't even realize the RGB thing before. I was focused on disliking the red/green combo that I forgot about the blue altogether. Haha, I'll have to bring that up tomorrow.

I see what you mean about there maybe being too much texture. For the time being I am kind of focused on finishing the sprites, but I'll definitely  keep that in mind when I get back to obstacles and borders. My goal was to make something intricate, but also non-distracting from the main character.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:38:25 am
Can't say I'm a big fan of the backpack color either.
Also, his hands seem to have strange dark and rough shading, unless they're gloves in which case the color is too similar to hands, haha.. :)
In some of the frames, his hair ends quite abruptly near his neck, which makes it look like a hairball coming out of a green pipe..
The white line running through his sleeves sorta looks like a glossy highlight due to the bright green color of the sweater.
Kinda nitpicking here, but once you notice things like this it tends to stick..

Very charming and well done though, will be interesting to see it in action!