AuthorTopic: GR#077 - Adventure Game Mockup 3/4 - RPG projection  (Read 22062 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: AdventureGame Mockup

Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 11:57:22 pm
not sure about exact resolution..thanks for the feedback. I'll probably get around the trees later..
here's a small update to knight and zombie

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 12:48:12 am
The zombieface is very well rendered. I'm not crazy on the texture of the knight, but more importantly, why is he the only one without a darker palette entry? It makes him appear hazy and washed out in comparison to the other portraits. Also, metallic objects would most likely have the highest contrast in a given lighting situation so he is most deserving of some darker colors.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 08:16:21 am
good points ryumaru, i'll address those soon, and im not crazy on the texture either, i think ill remove it..
for those interested.. been trying to program some random generated maps.. here's what i have so far: its a bit sketchy but hopefully itll come together.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:03 am
The grass looks feasible and creates an aesthetic that, while odd, is pleasing. However I think partial trees does nothing for it. For trees to work they should have the entire trunk and leaves, or you should create tiles that act as tops of tree stumps to always follow the top part of roots, but I could see that being difficult.  These first bits look promising though, looking forward to updates.

Perhaps trees could be on a separate layer and would always be intact ( perhaps only placement of the large tile cluster that is a tree would be random as opposed to the placement of all the parts?)

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 12:22:51 pm
That's pretty neat - is it a perlin noise based generator or some other algorithm?

@Ryumaru - I thing the idea is to only mark the locations of the trees by placing the stumps. My guess is that game characters will appear above everything on this layer, and tree tops will be generated randomly with another algorithm on yet another layer, so they appear above game characters (and eventually can become invisible to reveal what's underneath).

So yeah, cool stuff!

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 06:29:45 pm
yeah, that's the idea fickludd. I'm not doing perlin noise. I'm basically creating patches of various types of tiles, and then scanning through and blending them/changing single tiles based upon adjacent tiles. I still need to expand upon this and make sure things blend in every situation.
I copy pasted the tree from my mockup onto a screenshot to show how it might look in game to see if I'm no the right track.. Hopefully I'll be able to make the canopy of each tree a bit random.. I might change the style of the canopy too.. idk yet.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:46 pm
Tone down the noise. Everything is all noise, super tiny single pixel detail stuff EVERYWHERE. Does not help readability at all.
My eyes are just going X_x looking at this for too long.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Markus

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 07:50:15 pm
I'm having a really hard time reading trees as trees D: the canopy just looks like a big turquoise mess. It would probably look great if there was only a lonely tree, but if you are planning on having 'em cluttered like this I think you should redo them.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 04:55:34 pm
I did a little edit of the grass tiles. :) It's not perfect, but I wanted to try to make it a little more tranquil.

I found the palette a little tricky to work with, since it seems fairly random at the moment. I like a bit of hue variation, but there are such huge leaps. I think it could work if applied more sparsely, or toned down a little, but now it seems like it's added for the sake of style more than function.

I'm basically creating patches of various types of tiles, and then scanning through and blending them/changing single tiles based upon adjacent tiles. I still need to expand upon this and make sure things blend in every situation.

I don't really understand your approach. To me, it seems like you're trying to go for single-tile representations of everything, without transition tiles. Is the idea is that a single tile should function as a kind of universal transition tile between two tiles? I don't see how that's doable. I think this has potential, but while you're trying to go for a realistic style, I think what you need is something much more symbolic and simplified. I've seen this approach work well with two-color tiles, but as it is, I think you're trying to cram too much information into the tiles. I think there has to be more tile clusters (like 2x2 tiles) to convey larger elements, like ferns or whatnot, which are currently struggling to fit within their tile spaces without looking cramped.

What are you using to test and edit the tiles? It kind of seems like each tile is drawn to stand on its own, with little regard for the whole. The grid is also very noticeable in places, especially the grass. When you have such small tiles, I think great care has to be put into each pixel placement.

Overall, it seems like the aesthetics have taken a backseat to a somewhat confused approach. It wants to be small in size and simple to generate, but it also wants to convey complex information in a small space. I think you need to pick one or the other. ???