on: October 21, 2011, 05:03:14 am

wobble boing
feedback welcome.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Bun Bun

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:10:04 am
It's kinda creepy.  :'(
Is it getting eaten by that blob thing, or what?
I like it, but the difference between the shading on the rabbit's body and the purple thing make whether or not the rabbit and the purple thing are two separate bodies unclear. Either he's half-jelly and half-rabbit, or he's full-rabbit, half-stuck inside a jelly thing.

I mean, I assume the jelly and the rabbit are one entity, since he doesn't seem to be in any sort of distress over his condition, but it could go either way. X3
Maybe make the outline of the rabbit's body less harsh or something? I dunno. I like him, either way. Very nice artwork, and an interesting monster.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:06:36 am
Is it getting eaten by that blob thing, or what?

:P no, it's just a wobbly rabbit thing.  was picturing him as the main character to a game, not a monster. He'd bounce around and fight other wobbly things.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:15:15 am
Like it so far, cute and charming. I initially assumed this was a monster (common enemy), but I could see it as a protagonist as well. The jellybean arms are unshaded, but this is still WIP?

It could use more contrast/be darker. You want to tell it apart from backgrounds instantly, so that the player doesn't get lost.

In the idle animation, vertical movement could be added to the side-to-side movement, more of an arc, so that it doesn't seem so stiff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:22:58 am by pistachio »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:29:03 am
thanks
the unshaded parts are part of his body/back. I still need to figure out how to shade it or if i should just keep it flat.
I'll decide about contrast if I create any backgrounds. I don't need to think about it now and I don't generally think things need to be contrasty just because its a game. The player wouldn't be lost if everything is designed well artistically and functionally.
about the vertical movement, I was considering maybe tilting the head to get more wobble going. I may try that.
I want to try and make some attack anims including a carrot nunchuck.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 11:15:59 am
Very nice work. Great jiggly pixel anim. Difficult to get natural organicky movement like this at small res.

His face needs more expression capability. A discernible mouth will help. Alter his expression per phase of his anim.

The dark green isn't working, for me.

I really like your drawing and shading style but for this why don't you back off on the detail and keep it more cell-shady. That way you can keep the solid purple as is, while everything looks unified with the same art style. Plus, you get the automatic readability boost from increased simplicity.

AA ears with that middle pink more.

Holla.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:34:24 pm
hrm.. how's this version?

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:49 pm
It's much clearer that he's all one monster now.
An improvement, I think. =)