AuthorTopic: Byte Me - New ZX Spectrum game  (Read 7333 times)

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Byte Me - New ZX Spectrum game

on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:01 pm
Started on the graphics for a ZX Spectrum game (coded by another) and the game is going to be released at the Replay Expo in Blackpool at the beginning of November. So, other than the constraints and limitations of the ZX Spectrum, I've also got time constraints. The game is set in a futuristic fast food diner where you fire either burgers or hot dogs at buns to make a hot dog or a burger for a customer order. I think it will follow the lines of Tapper only you have to make the food before delivering it to the customer. So, I've started on the graphics and here they are so far.

Main Sprite.

Burger/Hot Dog Firing.

Can of Boke (Health).

Slice of bread (enemy)

Hot Dog Bun (enemy)

Sesame Seed Roll (enemy)

Tomato (enemy) ..yeah, it's supposed to be a tomato!

And since 1 of the customer types is a Stormtrooper (I don't know, I was just told that this was to be the case), here's the graphic.

Still got quite a few graphics to do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:43:34 pm by redballoon »

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Re: Untitled ZX Spectrum game

Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:06:54 pm
And here are the complete in-game graphics spritesheet with screen mock-up. The programmer is now bashing away at his keyboard to get the game ready for the 5th November for the Replay Expo, while I work on the loading screen and front end menu screen and Game Over graphic.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:30:48 am
If it's technically possible to have the robot and the power-ups in a different colour than ennemies, I think that would help the player a lot.

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:53 am
Ideally, that would be aces and can be done, but there are reasons not to, i'm afraid. Due to the ZX Spectrum attributes - 2 colours per 8x8 pixels - then if any sprites overlap it can get a bit messy, though there are routines to make a sprite's colours the main overriding colours. It doesn't help that there is no masking in the sprites. As a rule, i always do masking, but again i've been asked not to bother due to restrictions, though, again, this can be calculated programmatically and again, unfortunately, out of my hands. So, yeah, it can be done - thinking off hand, Ultimate/Rare's Jetpac is a good example.

In the first game build, the customer faces graphics had lost the colour and were all black and yellow as the programmer wanted them to drop in and slide down the screen which meant having them in mono only for them to move...hopefully i talked him out of this.

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Re: Byte Me - New ZX Spectrum game

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:23 pm
The game now has a name, "Byte Me" and the loading screen has been done as well as an alt version...as I can't decide which one to use.

And, not related to this ZX Spectrum game, I've completed the logo loading screen for the ZX Spectrum remake of Double Dragon. This is done for the demo which is to be shown at the upcoming Replay Expo.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:37:26 pm by redballoon »