AuthorTopic: A Simplistic Puppy  (Read 2862 times)

Offline GeoffBorchers

• <3
    • View Profile

A Simplistic Puppy

on: September 08, 2011, 03:07:39 am
Okay, so I've made this dog (he didn't start as a dog, but I won't get into that) and was looking for a little C+C.

My goal here was to keep it simple, but still recognizable. I'm also working with the 4-colour GameBoy palette, as I'm fairly new to pixel art and I'd like to start by focusing on the pixels rather than worrying about colour theory (at least until I'm a bit more comfortable with pixels, as I do like colour)

So please help me improve here. I really appreciate your criticism, and the time spent to take a look at this and give feedback. Thank you.

Feel free to throw some me some love via ICQ! I'm always happy to chat as long as I'm not super busy.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: A Simplistic Puppy

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:20:47 am
The snout is a bit too short for a dog, looks more cat like. And you should use some of that third shade as actual shading instead having those solid regions of the lightest.

Offline GeoffBorchers

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 04:37:41 am
I definitely agree with you on both counts, so here's a revision. I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I'll let you guys look at it, as I don't have a keen eye for these things necessarily.

Feel free to throw some me some love via ICQ! I'm always happy to chat as long as I'm not super busy.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:25:24 am
Really cute puppy. c: I did an edit to help you:

Some things: Upped contrast/made everything generally darker (gbc one is too washed out). Tried showing both legs, fixed spot on head where it felt like there was a gap. Fooled with tail because single pixel lines don't give much sense of volume. (and its a fluffy tail!)

These things were done at 1x zoom. At a higher zoom everything still applies, but your old version stands on its own stronger.

Offline GeoffBorchers

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28:48 am
Sorry I've not replied. I've been up in the mountains all week.

@Atnas
I hear what you're saying, but I'm not liking the changes made in the edit (the colours seem marshy, the outline looks messy to me, et mierda). I attempted a new version with the tail though, as I love your take on it.
Maybe I'm too tired to think though, so I'll take a look at it again in the morning.

P.S. Thank you for saying it's a cute puppy. I'd feel horrible if it wasn't D: