AuthorTopic: [16x16][C&C] House Tileset  (Read 13122 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [16x16][C&C] House Tileset

Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 08:31:50 pm
Not quite sure I understand, but oh well :P

Also, I've been thinking about how to approach this issue with contrast.
A high contrast gritty style is not what I'm after, so how do I get a more cute and colorful style while not making it look washed out?

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:05 am
If you want high contrast and a cute style you need a different approach.

What you have at the moment is a whoooole lot of subtle grainy texture through everything. As soon as you dial up the contrast on that you get TEXTURE OVERLOAD.

The main tool you want to use is simplification. You want to simplify shapes down and work in broad blocks of colour with accented bits of detail. This lets you use all kinds of bright, saturated colour at any level of contrast without introducing graininess.

Here's a quick example:

It might not be 100% the style you want, or fit with the setting of the tileset (looks more like a dungeon wall to me), but the point is the process. Working with very few colours, building it up in basic blocks of tone, only introducing colours a couple at a time and for very clear roles. At no point do you want to introduce any kind of graininess to it. After the final step in the gif you can add more colours for AA (also to remove the dither-lines), but I probably wouldn't be going much beyond that.

You also might not want to work from dark-to-light. That's just my habit, but working from midtones into dark and light is a good practice. I suppose you could work from light to dark (sort of like drawing with pencils I guess), but that seems more problematic to me.

Also the interior walls of the house would not cast shadows like that, since the sun would not actually shine inside the house (because there would be a roof).

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:19:00 am
Wow, you guys are brilliant! I love this forum <3
That style looks really nice!
I think your explanation is pretty spot on too, since every time I tried to increase contrast it becomes very grainy. I actually considered making it more clean after seeing how the wooden floors looked without any grain.

The problem I'm having is that I tend to jump from style to style, I see something and go "oh let's try that!" and then next week it's something else :D
Right now I'm sorta trying to collect it all in my head before I start re-drawing the tiles.

A question, what method do you use for selecting colors in photoshop? I just have the standard color picker, but it can be confusing when shifting hues. Like a darker shade for wood becomes more red, but perhaps I need to shift it much further. I'm kinda bad at exaggerating colors and contrast as you may have noticed :P

edit:

Had a go at making some objects and tiles using a quite colorful palette.
It's really hard with the limited colors and it's also looking quite plain. I assume this kind of style looks best when you see the whole picture. But I had some trouble with the top of the barrel looking quite plain.
Ugh and outlines are looking quite messy in general, bah, need to do this properly when I'm not super tired and can barely see straight :D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 05:00:34 am by Seiseki »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 06:27:09 am
The new stuff looks much more interesting :-D
I actually don't like the colours of the grass in my edit.
Anyway I'm really still learning this but so far all I know how to do is use the HSB side of things in the colour picker:
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l615/Decrosion/colourpicker.png
You probably know this already but:
Hue is like which colour it is whether it be green, blue or whatever.
Saturation is how much of that colour is used, lower sat leads to grey.
Brightness is how much or how little black is in there.

I do everything like that now.
What about you other guys how do you do it? Probably moslty use other programs.
I could post a step-by-step on how I make the rocks for fun if it helps?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 09:26:27 pm
Decroded, if you don't mind, any help would be welcome :)

btw, Just to show how badly I'm struggling with keeping the same contrast and style:

Btw, if anyone feel like helping out, post a palette and I'll try to make something out of it, just for practice and getting used to more colorful and stronger contrast.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:38:35 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 09:50:50 pm
your problem seems to be the dither. at your previous trys you don't used it. Because of that it's something completely different now.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 11:09:08 pm
Well, here are the colors you used in that last one-

...I think you see the problem. For the style you want, you need bright, vibrant colors and high contrast. I don't mean to be too blunt, but with this last mock up it looks like you were trying to do the exact opposite.

What you had going with the wood in that other post was great. Try applying that to this new mock up.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 01:26:13 am
Just to clarify, the stuff I'm posting is old stuff from a few weeks back, they were done on different sheets, so I made the mockup to see how poorly they would match each other..
The only new stuff I did was the barrels, boxes and such.
Oh and those sprites are new too..

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 02:06:57 am
So I started working on a new style inspired by EyeCraft's edit.
The contrast is a bit better, but I'm not sure about the palette..

It's a quick and dirty mockup with some tiling issues since I haven't actually made tiles that loop properly for the wall material.
I tried painting a bit of grass in the corner there, mostly just trying out the colors.

Edit: Seeing the house against the background like this makes me think the highlights needs to be much stronger..
Or perhaps I'm just too tired to see straight..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:41:24 am by Seiseki »