AuthorTopic: [C+C] Title screen  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Flayed Cat

• View Profile

[C+C] Title screen

on: September 07, 2011, 08:18:34 am
Working on the title screen for a game. Looking for criticism and advice on how to improve it.

Here is the x3 version. The size it will be displayed in the game http://i.imgur.com/520u5.png

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Title screen

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:43:43 am
Think about harmonious color combinations - it looks like you just added red on the knight's armor because you thought it would look cool, but it kind of clashes with the green of the grass. Also, I like how you've created the illusion of depth by creating the darkening shades of grass, but this ruins the focus of the piece. Where do you want the player to look?

The place with the highest contrast in the piece is the hilt of the sword, dark against the light of the sky. The place that grabs the secondmost attention is the darkest area of grass. Wouldn't you rather the most eye-catching place be the knight fighting the monster? There are many ways of doing this, such as increasing the contrast between that and its' background. Try reducing the number of colors you're using and find a harmonious color scheme as well, it would unify the piece and make it more appealing. Make the layers of grass less attention-grabbing, reduce their saturation, and try to make lines converge to the center of the piece to make it clear that the knight should be the focal point. The piece certainly has potential, I look forward to seeing your update! :)

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:22 am
Great suggestions by ceddo, I'll add mine: reduce a bit the height of the grass and add some detail to it (example here), add details on the characters, make the mountains blend a bit more with the sky : )
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline Flayed Cat

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:18:21 pm
Thanks for the c+c, both of you.

Worked a bit more on it, and this is what I have so far.

(x3 version: http://i.imgur.com/GXDEX.png)

Changed the colors of the mountains to blend in more with the sky. Also changed the red on the knight and the green on the "grass".

The "grass" is actually suppose to be tree tops (the knight is basically a giant). Will have to work some more on them and try to get them more tree-ich.

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:03:19 pm

I RIPPED THOSE TREES FROM http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57160.0

just to show you how it's done : D see how the sword and trees are a little blue-ish?

I've outlined the characters too.

My edit is kinda shitty but I think you get the point.
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!