AuthorTopic: Fighting to the sound of music  (Read 7765 times)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Re: Fighting to the sound of music

Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 07:14:00 pm

Quick edit, I'll change my post after dinner with some more info :D

Actually not, I must sleep now, but I'll try to do it tomorrow morning :)

EDIT: So, here goes...

First, thanks for the C&C, everyone. It's really great to get all this feedback from you :)

big brother: I read your comment yesterday morning and i thought "wow...I suck." So, before going to school, I took my father's anatomy books, so I could study them a bit more deeply. Of course, I was aware that those top two abs exist, I have a body (duh!), I just didn't draw them because no one seems to pay atention to them (Marvel, for example). Well, I'm not sure if I understood all of what you said, but I tried to fix most of it. He's got nipples (I remembered that at some point, but then I forgot :-\ thanks for reminding me), tried to fix the collarbone thing (although I don't think I understood it), fixed the abs thing, his right bicept is now a bit smaller and tried to define his arms lines better (although I might not have done it well). About the headphones, you are right, they're supposed to be just a ball with an antennae (for more weird headphone designs click here). And that's it. Thanks for the constructive critique, it was very helpful.

Indigo: I'm glad you like it. It's not that original though...It's just me, with a bunch of muscles and an odd headphone. I hope that feeling of flatness you and I enjoy in it hasn't been lost in my last edit :-\

Helm: Although it was obviously very rushed, your edit helped me a lot, especially in the arms. I don't agree with the your folds flow in the jeans, though. I mean, if he was using them normally that would be the right way, but he has pulled them a bit downwards, which breaks the "natural" flow of the folds. About the colours, I don't think I will change them...I'm really liking the jeans without higlights and I'm still not sure if I'll keep the highlights I added on the skin. I'll wait to see what pther people think about it...it was very clever to unify the two darkest shades though. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer and for editing the sprite.

So, here's the lastest version, with all the modifications mentioned above.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 07:07:18 am by Filax_666 »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 09:01:25 pm
No worries, big brother.  I completely agree with you.  And no need to count them - I know there are 8.  I mentioned this in my first post.  I think you missunderstood what I was trying to say.  Most people - when referring to the "six pack" - start counting the muscels from below where the rib cage ends. This is because, thats generally where they start to become more defined. The top two abdomen are sorta riding on top of the rib cage. Your saying that the the top two abdomen are included when referring to 'the six pack', but as far as i know, its the six below the first row that is really considered the six pack.  Its not really too big of an issue really - we just had a missunderstanding of what is or what is not a six-pack (which isn't a proper muscle group name to begin with)

most artists dont even draw the top two abdomen - which suggests what i've been saying.  Check out these marvel pics - they all start drawing the abdomen from below the ribcage.
http://a-arca.uol.com.br/v2/images/gibi_news_mkspider.jpg
http://kebawe.com/bullons/images/daredevil_s.jpg

It seems to me that Filax was also trying to do this same thing, but he didn't leave a gap enough below the pectorials.

anyway, I'm not trying to say your wrong, cuz your definately not.  just a missunderstanding.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 10:36:23 pm
protip: don't learn anatomy from marvel comics. Even if you intend to work on marvel comics.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 10:54:40 pm

most artists dont even draw the top two abdomen - which suggests what i've been saying.  Check out these marvel pics - they all start drawing the abdomen from below the ribcage.
http://a-arca.uol.com.br/v2/images/gibi_news_mkspider.jpg
http://kebawe.com/bullons/images/daredevil_s.jpg

I agree with Helm about the "don't draw from marvel comics" saying, but I do agree with what you're saying.

That guy just has a well defined abdomen; I rarely see the very top ... abdomia? I have no fucking idea what they are called. I just never recall seeing the very top ones, usually. So, its really up to you to disregard it, or not.

And that reference is giving me a massive erection.
@darionmccoy

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 07:26:00 am
So, the post's edited above :) And if anyone wants to see, I already made a sketch for the portrait!

CLICK EEET!

EDIT: And a very quick trace (I need breakfast...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 08:03:49 am by Filax_666 »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 05:10:55 pm
Apologies if I came off as a dick.