AuthorTopic: Re-Do  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Vayliya

• It'sa Vayvay
    • View Profile

Re-Do

on: July 27, 2011, 06:46:56 pm
A few weeks ago I was out of town and while stuck in my grandparent-in-laws with my laptop I decided to redo an older pixel I had made instead of working on the new one buried somewhere in the forums

Yea........ the one on the left is the newer one...I look at the old one and cringe. I could have done better with the colors but I was using the old Palace Chat palette. I killed some of the darker colors and I think it did loads for it. I really wasn't going for brand spanking new pixel just what would happen with this piece if I knew what I knew now. So I made myself reuse the lines, but just change the way I colored it.

I know I am late posting this I apologize, my life hasnt quite been stable or normal recently. I went back to school, moved twice, and my hubby keeps getting me sweet video games.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:33:14 am by Vayliya »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Re-Do

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:15:45 pm
I'm no expert but straight away I see banding going on especially on her right arm and the highlights on the dress. I think u should look up ways to address that so it doesn't stand out so much.
overall the new one is a bit better but the bit where her hand is grabbing the dress is a bit better on the original.
I think her arms are still a bit pillow shaded too as if light source is camera flash or something instead of having any shadows...

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:19:41 pm
the new one looks alot cleaner than the old one but still has alot of banding.  I think you should focus on getting rid of the banding and getting rid of some unnecesary colors you have to clean it up.  Heres an edit I tried to get rid of the banding

on the right I isolated 3 pairs of colors that I think need work.
pair 1: these colors are in the hair and are indistinguishable at 1x, so you might as well get rid of one of them.

pair 2: also in the hair.  They differ in hue but are very close in value.  You could get more use out of them by making one slightly darker or lighter, that way you could create shading with them as well.

pair 3: in the skin.  I noticed youre using the brownish color on the left as the next darkest color in the skin ramp from the purple color to its right.  However, these colors are very close in value so its not working right.  Make the brownish color darker or the purple color lighter to make the ramp more effective.

Offline Vayliya

• It'sa Vayvay
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:21:43 pm
As far as colors I was not using a palette I made rather I used the old palace chat palette. I will attempt to work on the banding maybe tonight if work cooperates.

Offline Alexsani

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:27 pm
I think you could benefit greatly by paying more attention to your light source.  A lot of that was banded, or pillowshaded, and had no single light source.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:15:44 am
Gotta agree with Alexsani. Overall nothing much has changed to correct the direction of the lightsource, making her dress look about the same as it was 5 years ago, unfortunately.

However in Alex's edit, I think it could have been handled better.

To correctly handle this, think of the dress as a cone and set up the lighting from there. Work from the general to the specific, so folds would come later.

There are also some faults with anatomy. While there is a difference between what were essentially tubes for limbs you had back in '06 and the more-defined segments of today, in both versions she seems to display an odd juxtaposition of stiffness and grace (particularly her arms). There's also a lack of balance, like you went directly to drawing before thinking about it. Mirroring the drawing horizontally, as I find it, makes these problems easier to spot.

Edit, maybe.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:02:47 am by pistachio »

Offline Vayliya

• It'sa Vayvay
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:54:39 pm
I appreciate the input and will definitely apply it to future works however for the time being my computer situation has changed and I am not capable of reworking this piece right now.