AuthorTopic: [WIP] Corn Dawg  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

[WIP] Corn Dawg

on: August 12, 2011, 03:07:27 am
Sup? :D

Now, I'm very new/bad at pixel art, so please be patient with me.

This isn't for anything particular, just practice.

So...what should I do?

Oh yeah, I'm gonna remove those black outlines...bleck.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:16:55 am by CommanderD »
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Corn Dawg

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:18:59 am
CLean your lines up your lines are all squiggly.

read this through. http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:01:40 am
the problem is that you're thinking in symbols, rather than what should actually be there. what's between the symbols is as important as the symbols themselves. it's easy to remember that faces have eyes and heads have hair, but if you don't have a firm basis in anatomy (and aren't using references), then perhaps you make a mistake like the one here, which is omitting the brow and forehead entirely. you know of course that heads have ears, and that they are on the sides of the head- but where exactly on the side? how high or low? how large are they in relation to the surrounding features, what other features of the face should the line up with?

even if you're making it 'cartoony', it still needs underlying anatomy.

for it to look like you know what you're doing, what you make should be an abstraction from actual anatomy. omitting all anatomy (like a cranium, or giving him noodle arms) makes it look as if you don't know what should be there.

I could critique the anatomy, but tbh everything needs work. so use references when making art, and study those references. check relative sizes and locations of features, know the underlying anatomy (both the muscular and skeletal system). If you don't learn what's actually there, and trust your eyes in depicting it, then you'll default to relying on your brain, which stores a bunch of convenient symbols that don't necessarily form an accurate representation when cobbled together.

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:12:46 pm
Thanks guys! :D

It's gonna take some time to edit, so...I'll post later. XD
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:45:21 pm
Maybe you should also start with something small fist, it's better to do small things first because it takes less time than a big piece. Pixelart usual works with small sizes, every simgle pixel could be an important detail. You should try to make your face with a height of about ~64px
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:40:10 am
I'll postpone this for a while until I get my skull done. It's less work. ;D (I think)