AuthorTopic: [WIP] Skull...thing  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

[WIP] Skull...thing

on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:10 pm

I'm a new at pixel art! :D

This is just a small pic for practice. Doesn't even have much color XD
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Skull...thing

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:19:40 pm
two threads in two days? be careful not to spread yourself thin, both of these pieces need a lot of work and it'd probably be best to focus on one.

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:54 pm
And you have unneeded colors in your skull. If you can't see them from normal view then they don't need to be there.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:47:24 pm
In addition to that, there is pillow shading that centers around the eye sockets, I recommend using some references.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:19:48 pm
two threads in two days? be careful not to spread yourself thin, both of these pieces need a lot of work and it'd probably be best to focus on one.

Agreed. Note that while part of making good pixel art does require some knowledge of certain skills and techniques, pixel art is just another medium, and for it to look good it requires good foundations. Including basic perspective, anatomy and light and shadow.

Seems you have a classic case of inexperience, so it'd be best to start with the basics, however daunting it may seem. I find this book to be a good tutorial, of sorts, for beginners. It recommends more of a construction-oriented approach. But don't think this book is all you need to become a master. That takes practice and dedication. If you're having your doubts now, eventually you're going to come to a forked path; you can keep pushing on, gradually becoming better with time, or you can succumb to the voice in your head telling you to give up because it's just too hard for you. It'll happen plenty of times. It's part of the process.

I hope that didn't sound discouraging, just something to take note of. It'd be great to have another truly aspiring artist around here. If not, such a shame...

EDIT: People have said that before to you a lot of times haven't they? I hope you've changed from the last time you posted, much like you'd said.

Quick... thing (screwed up on lower jaw):

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:29:29 am by pistachio »

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:45:06 am
I see my problem...I always try to make things way too cartoony. Too much Adventure Time, I guess. XD

@cure: yeah...I know. :( I postponed the other one. ;D
@e4r: which colors are unneeded?
@yaomon: I'm going to change the light source entirely... :/
@pistachio: Your link is broken. :( I really wanted to look at that, too. :(
@pistachio's edit: I've had a very mood-changing...journey, for lack of a better word.

I'm going to start completely over on my skull, because to be frank, this one sucks. (as you said)

But, for NOW, until I get that done, here's something I worked on before I received your guys' critique.

...no one make fun of the neck XD
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:47:19 am by Ddawg »
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 02:20:05 am
I'm going to assume you aren't using any references of actual skulls. Am I right?

When you restart, use references from start, it'll save you trouble later on. Don't trust your mind, trust your eye (aka google images).

A skull has anatomy just like any other body part. Know the cranium, the jaw, the maxilla, the shape of the nostrils and eye sockets, the relationship between the eye sockets and the brow/cheekbones/temple. Know where on the skull the spine attaches. etc.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:21:47 am by Cure »

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:47:12 am
So what reference do you think would be best? I'm going to download tons of different angles of skulls from google.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:52:49 am
Any reference of a skull would be fine. Preferably one looking in about the same angle as your piece, that is 3/4 to the right. But if you want to learn the anatomy of the skull in general, that's great, but then you may have to use many references and make quite a few studies (copying and analyzing what you see perhaps with paper and pencil.)

Offline Ddawg

• View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:59 am
I like your version you did a few posts back. I'll keep that around as a reference if I need it.

Thanks guys. I'll get to work tomorrow morning! :D