AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sprite for Rpg  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Free Camera

• View Profile

[WIP] Sprite for Rpg

on: August 05, 2011, 01:25:57 pm
Hello, I'm working on a 320 x 240 rpg and I'm trying to draw up some sprites at the moment.  I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice or show me how to improve upon this sprite i've made based on the character's appearance in cut-scenes.  Are you all able to make out facial features, etc? 

Offline ABC

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprite for Rpg

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:59:48 pm
Really well made IMO.

Only thing I can see is I would remove his eyebrows which I find distracting.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sprite for Rpg

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:22:33 am
As for the face, I actually like it. Very stylized and charming. I find the newer one much clearer in its expression. The blushing effect is a bit hard to make out, though. Not that you have to change it to some kind of eye-searing pink.

The character sprite's style seems familiar... Was it, by any chance inspired by the Mario and Luigi RPG games? No, that was probably just the antialiasing.

Most of the problems I have regard the palette, which overall is very bland, that is to say, it's a straight ramp from light to dark or vice versa, in other words, monochromatic. (Yes, I've said that many times before.) It could use a bit of variety, for example, tinting the shadows to blue, or just picking out a less generic color, in this case classic cyan.

There are also quite a few jaggies you haven't gotten rid of yet. Take for example the large spike on top of the newer portrait's head. It's probably supposed to be a smooth surface, in which case sticking to a straight-on diagonal line would have been the better option. Yeah, it's hard to explain. This link puts it better than I do, and has examples to help. Just scroll down until you come to jaggies. (Reading it entirely would also benefit your technical skills seeing as it's a tutorial, a good one at that.)

Seems you were going to smooth things out with a bit of antialiasing, but frankly, it didn't turn out very noticeable especially at this scale. Hopefully I retained the aesthetic you were going for. Might have gone a bit overboard with the AA'ing...

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:32:36 am by pistachio »