AuthorTopic: Selling prints of pixel art?  (Read 6211 times)

Offline Perihelion

• View Profile

Selling prints of pixel art?

on: June 06, 2011, 03:17:37 pm
Some friends of mine want to buy prints of my art (:huh:), so I was wondering if anyone's ever sold pixel art prints. I'm not sure if it'll look good on paper, and moreover, most prints services are designed for raster art. I'm concerned that if I upload a high-res version of my art and then they resize it, the edges of the pixels will blur and it'll look like crap.

I'm also not sure what print services are best in general. RedBubble does mounted prints and framed prints, which is nice, but I didn't see any dimensions when I was looking at base prices, so I'm not sure how pricey they are compared to, say, deviantART. They have more options than DA, but DA lets me upload source files for different sizes, which is a big plus.

Anyway, anyone ever sold art prints? What service did you use, and how was your experience?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:26:44 pm by Perihelion »

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Re: Selling prints of pixel art?

Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:02:15 pm
I had the same question last year and went to Blacks and a local place for some info. Both suggested I resize my art manually for anything bigger than its actual resolution, because it would blur. The idea of redoing pieces pixel-by-pixel with larger square brushes didn't sit well with me, and I never really followed through with more research.
Bumping for interest.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:12:43 pm
. . .The idea of redoing pieces pixel-by-pixel with larger square brushes didn't sit well with me, and I never really followed through with more research.
Bumping for interest.

Are you referring to re-pixelling something at a larger res, manually? And not just scaling it up by increments of 100%? It take 5 seconds to scale pixel art.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:50:54 pm
wat
What program/filter are you using Mathias? I use Photoshop CS4, but its scaling sucks.
EDIT: Thanks Kasumi  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:18:45 pm by michelcote »

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 09:26:39 pm
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 02:53:30 pm
wat
What program/filter are you using Mathias? I use Photoshop CS4, but its scaling sucks.
EDIT: Thanks Kasumi  :)

Hit CTRL+K. Change the "Image Interpolation" dropdown. Looks like you got it, though. PS has had this option for a thousand years, you just didn't know it. WHO SUCKS NOW?! (I am the photoshop defender)

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:40 pm

Hit CTRL+K. Change the "Image Interpolation" dropdown. Looks like you got it, though. PS has had this option for a thousand years, you just didn't know it. WHO SUCKS NOW?! (I am the photoshop defender)

I've been using Photoshop since version 6 (only 400 years or so), I badmouth it out of love. There's still tons of stuff I don't know though, I should take some time to study the help manual  :blind:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 04:01:21 am
Cool, I been using it since 5.0, hah gotcha beat!

Offline ui

• Venezuela
    • View Profile
    • http://www.iloveui.com

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 03:45:03 am
Cool, I been using it since 5.0, hah gotcha beat!
i have been usign it since version 3.0!!! jajajaja i got you!!!! jajajajajajajajaj XDDDD (but actually im not joking) i used to "hack" the NEED FOR SPEED cars textures and for some school homeworks, i also learned corel draw (what a ugly program) but thats another story....
And btw, im sure there are MANY things i dont know about photoshop, that's for sure...

And Perihelion
i have sold, yes....

the price for a 33x23 inches posters (made on cloth) and transfer print, was about 25/30 each us$, and i think it was cheap, but that was the price.
these are the posters...

Im about to print new ones, but im still deciding the design! XDDD