AuthorTopic: Fighting to the sound of music  (Read 7764 times)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Fighting to the sound of music

on: May 17, 2006, 07:49:07 pm

I noticed KOS wasn't filled yet, so I thought I could actually finish a fighter sprite (something i could not acomplish in my previous tries). Portrait coming very soon, I hope. C&C welcome, as usual :)

EDIT: 11 colours if anyone's wondering and that's as high as I would like the colour count to stay :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 09:09:45 pm by Filax_666 »

instant

Re: Fighting to the sound of music

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:11:26 pm
My main crit is the low contrast and the belt's color/shading- other than that, really cool

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:27:08 pm
i think those are boxers

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 10:59:28 pm
You got the muscle down pretty well. Palette's pretty tight too. He's got some massive hips though >_<. Also his > forearm is incredly long compared to the bicept (I'd lengthen the bicept more).

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 11:48:27 pm
you should thin the back of his abdomen area, there isnt much muscle there(mostly the obliques) and those usaully arent that massive.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:46:40 pm
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Instant: As Ryumaru said, those are boxers...as for the contrast, you may want to check the new version, since I know some colours changed because of the file format.

Dhaos: Thanks, I studied a lot of anatomy (not as much as I would like, unfortunately) a few time ago, so it wasn't that hard. I already knew of the forearm problem, I was just too lazy to fix it. Since I didn't know which arm you were talking about (or maybe you meant both) I only edited his right one. You can see the edit below.

Ryumaru: Thanks for telling me that :) I made him one pixel thiner and it defenitely looks better!

[the colours may be a bit different now, since I saved it as .gif this time]

Not much to say about it, I barely changed a thing...all of the edits are mentioned above :D

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:49:47 am
Some more crits (in no particular order)

-His hips seem wider than his shoulders
-His head looks like it was drawn separately from the body (doesn't match the angle of the neck, esp for this pose)
-Collarbone is too low, cuts into pecs
-No nipples
-Navel should not be along horizontal ab ridge, should be a little below
-Six pack is all above the navel, 8 pack is two below (you have four above and two below)
-His right bicep is bigger than the left
-The definition lines on his arms are all off, look for reference
-Headphone looks like a ball with a short antennae. Maybe if it had a bigger strap it would look like those clunky headphones.
-No wires from the heaphones?
-The ark edge on the outside of his right pec makes it look like his right arm is detached.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 01:32:38 pm
Big brother... look where this guy's navel is:

yes there are another set of abdomen right below the pectorials, however they usually aren't as defined and are generally not counted as part of the 'six pack'.  so really - the naval should be located inbetween the second and third rows of the six pack. However, it seems like Filaxy boy placed the pack a bit too high, which would make sense on why big brother made such a comment.  The thing i dont understand is where your seeing the belly button to begin with.  I dont see one - just looks like a line defiining one of the abs to me.  Also - i dont think the hips are wider than the shoulders; it might be an illusion because of the way the legs are positioned (to try to keep his pants up maybe?) but its hard to tell.

I agree with everything else big brother said (especially about the collarbone- that one really bugs me).  Overall though - I absolutely love it.  It has a nice feel of flatness to it, but it still has depth - so thats good.  I kinda like the contrasting outlines to the colours within.  Also, its a great character you've created.  I have problems with originality, so I commend you for that.

good work.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 12:00:53 am by Indigo »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:07:12 pm

use this guide. crotch to navel is one head, two more to reach the actual head. general arc from arm joints goes to navel. Variations exist (there's so many differently built smallheaded/bigheaded men and women!) but this is a good thing to keep in mind.

edit:

anatomy edit. using one color less than you (11), yet I added highlights for both skin and pants. A bit of unification (not too much, this is st0venish, doesn't have to be a compact one palette) can help make for extra slots for other stuff.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 02:36:22 pm by Helm »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 02:40:16 pm

http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/reference/gray/subjects/subject?id=118

Count 'em. There are 8, 6 above and 2 below the navel. Seems contradictory -- you admit to the number, then for some reason say the top two don't "count". If anything, the bottom 2 of the 8 usually have less definition.

Back to your image:

Are you sure I'm wrong?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 02:46:35 pm by big brother »