AuthorTopic: [16px][WIP] Cute Character Templates  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

[16px][WIP] Cute Character Templates

on: July 16, 2011, 02:03:50 am
So I started working on a template for RPG characters.
They're a bit influenced by the Cave Story sprites.
I just wanted them to look cute and small, obviously they look a bit childish which I exaggerated on with the hair, skirt and such on the female sprite.

At first I felt really frustrated for choosing 16px (it's for a game and I can't change my mind again and go back to 32px :P) because I thought it was really hard to make the hair style.
I think the blond hair turned out pretty ok, but I was going for something else, it's especially hard to make it look like the hair is at an angle, now the bangs are straight but I wanted them to bend downwards.

I'm glad I did this free hand though, I was almost about to look at other sprites because the heads looked really strange at first, but with the shading they started to look decent.
I think I've learned a bit from Pistachio from the other thread (gonna go back and work on my avatar later ;)) Thanks for that, but feel free to point out any mistakes I've made.

I'm also curious as to how I can make the female sprites more feminine, I tried adding a pixel to the sides of the eyes and also adding more slant to the shoulders. I also changed the shading a bit to make the female sprite appear more slim.

Lessons learned(?): Better contrast, fewer colors for sharpness, outlines broken up a bit.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:06:44 am by Seiseki »

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Re: [16px][WIP] Cute Character Templates

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:14:26 am
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:20:37 am by Koyot1222 »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [16px][WIP] Cute Character Templates

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:42:51 pm
Thanks, big improvement on the cloths and arms, but not sure about the face. The style has been completely changed..
So I think I'll add a bit more shading and contrast to the clothes.