AuthorTopic: Lizard Stab Concept Animation & Still  (Read 9856 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Lizard Stab Concept Animation & Still

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 09:50:52 am
Remember Guile's fast punch? It was done with his leading hand (which corresponds to your sprite's right), the one closer to the opponent. The medium punch, requiring more anticipation, was done with the "back" hand, and was slower. I wouldn't advise doing jabs with that "back" hand. Maybe you could rework this to a strong punch, and do a new jab with the other hand.

lol you cant jab with the back hand by definition

but yeah, spriting crosses is a good way to confuse the sprite, but also A.: you have animated a cross and B.: people actually do throw crosses, though i think of it as a counter instead of a lead

oh, and sicne you seemed to misread my post, i reccomend keeping the shadow teal and the highlight warm green, but make the difference in values less.  i like your hues, but the teal is so much darker that they dont look like they are shading the same object.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 04:02:23 pm
I donīt really have the time to write some proper C&C, so I shall let my edits speak for me...

On the second one i was just trying to break the monotony on the face, but the solution wasnīt the best and itīll probably be hard to animate it...I hope this helps, at least a bit.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 05:07:27 pm
UPDATE

[STILL]

-adjusted hues (closer together this time)
-changed shading placement to mvc style
*will be detailing his face more later...

[ANIMATION]

-pushed body forward more
-tried to soften the tail transition (failed)
-pushed the head out further to not squash the chest
*body should still probably move more
*probably need to add more frames for the tail to come back (link them to his breathing stance might wark!)

Any more C&C is greatly appreciated.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 05:15:38 pm
I just love the colors so much. I edit in pmotion and just sit and stare at the pretty colors. Good choices.

pulled the right leg exactly one pixel up, which I thought was a valid crit, and shadowed all the deeper stuff so it doesn't all seem to be on the same plane. Just an idea. Minor alterations to colors so the different planes work.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 07:01:48 pm
Woah... woah... Dude.

First thing that struck me is how awesome that animation looks. Even for a sketch, it's super-ultra-smooth. Almost smooth enough to make me forget about the backhand jabbing thing. And then the colors! I just... stared at them for a while... then realized it made me think of Jazz Jackrabbit and fell into nostalgic bliss.

I LOVE those colors.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 07:15:23 pm
one thing i noticed was the hand but i couldnt figure out why it looked odd..now i know though, its because hes punching with his fingers.  image what would happen if you punched like that? needless to say yuo wouldnt be typing a response lol.  punches should more or less lead with the first knuckles, not the fingers themselves
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 07:39:55 pm
@Filax: I see what you ment about the head detail, I really should add some more segementation/emblems to it. Thanks for bringing it up

@Helm: Yeah I really shoulda moved that foot up some more XD. I'll tweak the colors some more to get the planes right.

@Rox: Hehehe, glad you liked it. Still more work to be done on it though.

@Adrias: hehe, thats just it, he's not really 'punching' so much as he's impaling you with his claws (which I didn't add in yet). And that's why his fingers are so puffy (aside from the cute cuddly factor). Maybe it didn't work out like I had hope though >_<.

Got myself into two sprite duels at pixeltendo, so I wont be updating this image for another day or two. Again thanks to everybody who commented, it helped me alot =3.

For the comp I have to make giygas from earthbound, and ffac sepiroth. I didn't get to pick the 2nd challange topic >_<... Wish meh luck!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 07:47:32 pm
Ay, much better colors...and just about everything else, too.

-tried to soften the tail transition (failed)
Actually, I think you should go back to the first tail whippage. I see how it would be difficult to make the tail transition smoothly without adding unnessecary frames, so I think the first was best, actually.

Aside from that, no further crits.

It's awesome.

Offline Ryuria

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 08:14:35 pm
Holy Crap. Now, I realise I should be fearing/ worshipping you more. :P

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 10:05:31 pm
one thing i noticed was the hand but i couldnt figure out why it looked odd..now i know though, its because hes punching with his fingers.  image what would happen if you punched like that? needless to say yuo wouldnt be typing a response lol.  punches should more or less lead with the first knuckles, not the fingers themselves

Art of the Knife Hand ^_^ it works!