AuthorTopic: just wondering  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Re: just wondering

Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 11:14:39 pm
Wow, i thought I was the only one who did the undo while working in a traditional medium. I dont question my sanity as much anymore.

Alot of which is said on the thread is true, i should delve into traditional mediums more, i rarely do because my hands shake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 11:22:44 pm
i rarely use the undo key on the computer actually, i tend to work it around because thats what im used to, unless i do something catastrophic.

as far as spilling ink goes, its good practice to try and work with it with more ink and white paint.  at the very worst, youll look like you are trying to rip off frank miller :P

one of the beatuies of pixelart is that you can figure a basic composition in a small area and then enlarge and use the basic regions for your sketch (which a tablet hels with but a mouse can accomplish).  i personally begin with a pencil sketch for larger works (examples in this forum: pirate girl, bronze), but the smaller or more heavily stylized ones (examples in this forum: forest princess, tactics character) i usually work straight on the computer.  monsters are a mix and backgrounds are always pure pixel
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 12:46:45 am
i cant really ever use white paint, cuz i color my pages traditionally with watercolor.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:06 am
i cant really ever use white paint, cuz i color my pages traditionally with watercolor.
I used to be really fluent in water colour but now after so long doing all my art on computer its been hard to get back into it.. barely anything in pixelart applies to water colour
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 04:54:49 am
Personally, I battled a lot with how to draw my initial steps in pixel art, and I found I really can't handle and get annoyed by the 'blotted color' painter way to start. I've devised a hybrid clean method of good lineart that gets turned into something that looks like a flat-shaded polygon mesh, and from there it's a matter of smoothing transitions, dithering and detail work. I really can't handle BLOTCH BLOTCH "this is my wip, guys!" I need to know what's going on in the pic and where the elements all are from pretty early on. Probably bad practise if I tried to take it say, to watercolor (which I know how to work, but am very hesitant to).
hmm that's interesting because i don't do large pieces regularly but i am currently working on one for a title screen and my process is just like that. I usually start out with a drawing scanned in, trace in pixels and touch up to get my line art. Then get that "flat-shaded polygon mesh" which is the perfect phrase to describe it too.  Right now im smoothing transitions and detailing, although i don't dither much, never really have. Never really got into to painting or watercolors, due to my unsteady hands but i have to say it would be fun to try again, since the last time i did it was in 3rd grade =P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 04:22:41 pm
maybe some shaky hands is just the effect needed for new paintings worldwide!
jk