AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mystic Room  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

[WIP] Mystic Room

on: June 29, 2011, 11:37:25 pm
Hello !

I am currently working on a RPG project called Lije. I'm working on the elements for a sort of magic room : the player is not supposed to see anything but small islands and sinking objects (the hero and those objects will have reflections on the floor, as if it was some sort of "water floor"). I made a little concept art to give an idea of the mood I'm looking for. I am having much difficulty with the rendering of leaves at the moment and I'm looking for advice :)

C&C much appreciated ! :)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mystic Room

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:54:52 am
The Grass looks really nice and I like the feeling of it all. All I can see that is worth changing is the shape of the top, looks just a bit too much like a mushroom and that's mostly why you get trubble getting a good shape of the leaves. Make the different levels of the treetop more different in size and shape and you will find it a lot easier to get it right, also keep in mind that trees don't have 6 "rings" of leaveschuncks, but different ones all over, try being more free with it and mix it up a bit. I don't know if it will destroy the style your after to acomplish, but it's worth a try :)

Other then that, well done!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:56:39 am by coffee »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mystic Room

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:14:18 am
Liking the desaturated green/black combo (the far left palette samples even more), really sets the mood.

Right now the tree doesn't look very sunken as opposed to the other objects. How about adding a reflection in the void of water? Actually that might double the size of the sprite if done properly, although this could be done for the smaller sprites you have down below. You could always have a few blades of grass sticking out of the water rather than the bare circle around the tree and put reflections on those however. Decreasing the radius of the exposed grass might help draw more attention to the tree as well. The base of the tree isn't really shaded as if it were cylindrical, and you have a few darks outlining your light colors. EyeCraft always says this, and I've found it rather helpful: keep dark colors out of light colors and vice versa.

Also, don't you think that those boxes/columns/statues could have a few more cracks running through them, even have a broken pillar? They look like they could be ancient. I don't know, because with boxes or simple there's a lot of room for ideas.

The perspective of the objects, when compared to the tree, is really off. Not sure if this was intended. If you don't feel like changing those, that's fine too.

You could always make more use of your mid-range colors if you're not going for a cel-shading/hard lighting approach. I actually think soft lighting would better fit the theme.

What coffee said about the top of the tree is right, now that I look at it, unless you were specifically aiming for this kind of tree. You might find this thread rather helpful when it comes to pixelling trees, especially if you read the whole thing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:48:09 am by pistachio »