AuthorTopic: [WIP] Ninja character concept for platformer  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Moczan

• View Profile

[WIP] Ninja character concept for platformer

on: June 28, 2011, 03:56:54 pm
Hi! I'm working on a little platformer game (Meat Boy style). I have just started doing graphics for it and wanted to hear some comments and advices on it before I start animating. It's still work in progress (especially sword):

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Ninja character concept for platformer

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:01:09 pm
I really like this one. I'd like to see more and see it in their environments.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:23 am
The main thing I have a problem with is that you don't seem to be committing to either a flat or 3d shading style, I decided to go 3d with my edit because the other direction is a lot simpler. If you decide to go with flat I recommend putting a little anti-aliasing (search the term if you are not familiar) on the mask and belt. Also try rotating (in 3d space) the body just a little to make the character more voluminous.

The other problem is the pose which, while cute, isn't very dynamic. It's really a stylistic choice but I made mine a bit more ninja-esque.

I like the design, you could help make the animations a bit more interesting by giving him a scarf or tails on the belt or something along those lines.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:43:00 am
I think the head is too big its going to make it awkward to draw him climbing walls and stuff.
U should play around with a few alternate versions of the character and while its always good to have eyes visible, don't think its a requirement and that u need to base the size of the head around some big eyes.
Also agree with comments about lighting and the edit, I know meat boy is flat shaded but thats a flash game with all sorts of smooth vector animation which is very hard to compete with using pixel art so u need to do what u can to make ur sprites sexy.

Offline Moczan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:40:48 am
Thanks for the advices guys!
First, I gave him such big head and eyes because I'm aiming for the cartoon-cute style. I will try to play with the design more and come up with some alternative version.
The pose is just temporary, in the game you will be running, jumping, wall-hugging 99% of the time, so I will need to focus on the dynamics of the animations, the idle pose can be static to give more relaxed feel. I will post some newer versions later today!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:29 am
Thanks for the advices guys!
First, I gave him such big head and eyes because I'm aiming for the cartoon-cute style (...) the idle pose can be static to give more relaxed feel.

Those people were kinda right, actually. Think about it. How are you going to possibly perform the moves you listed with such a large head? Running up a wall, he'd probably fall back down with the weight of it, unless his head's full of helium (don't use that as an excuse). Maybe shrink it down from 2 to 3 heads, or just 2 and 1/2 heads if you feel that's too much. You can still achieve a cute style (I think "chibi" is the word you're going for) with small proportions, but not as small as you're doing it if you plan to have this guy animated.

A relaxed feel? That actually doesn't seem very relaxed, but rather strained, unnatural, and doesn't let much character show. Besides, how do you go from a completely relaxed position to running to walljumping in what's likely to be 2 to 3 seconds? In my opinion a tenser pose would suit this ninja well. In fact it would be closer to the standard ninja pose. (I'm pretty sure I'm wrong when I say that's a battle stance, so you don't have to do it so dramatically.) If anything you can switch to a relaxed pose after the player has been idle for a while.

Oh by the way, that belt reads as underwear to me. Especially in 32's edit. Just saying.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:57:53 am by pistachio »

Offline Moczan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:32:05 pm
Thanks for the honest opinions. I've tried to edit it a bit and here is the result:

I tried to shade him more, change the scale a little (still big head - small body) and give him more characteristic pose. The pose ended up kinda badass, but I think I like it for now. I think I will need to get back to it and refine it some more, but I wanted to hear some opinions on the edit. I think that giving him some breathing animation will get a good "i've been running/jumping/fighting a lot, let's catch some breath for a moment and back to business" feeling for an idle stance.

Oh, the animation transition that pistachio's mentioned. In games, especially the fast-paced, arcade platformers, there is no place for 2-3 seconds of wind-up, transition animations due to gameplay constraints. Everything happens quite fast, the transition between every action must be instant or almost instant. I really appreciate the comment about the scale and stance, I've tried to think about it making that edit.

Offline Koyot1222

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 08:02:52 pm
quick edit:
probably this isnt exactly youve wanted, but im not very good in pixelart. Hope itll helpyou like someone helped me ;)