AuthorTopic: Bronze  (Read 9288 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Bronze

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 10:52:41 pm
bump = edit #1

tried to address as many issues as i could, though i sorta ignored the necklace and collar for the moment because im more concerned about getting the face right (and i got bored :P), and as that implies im going to take this through at least another round of comments before i do the final edit

new <----> old

with the alternately colored one based on trem's suggestion (i think this is what he ment):

are there any major issues with this that people can see? did i fail to fix things?  any new concerns? im really wanting to get this right since its my first real attempt at semi-realism in pixels :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:54:14 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 11:59:33 pm
Really cool. Loving the colors.

The only thing I see is ... well, he doesn't really appear to have many features that a black person would have. If you removed the bronze render and added a black, or either white skintone render, it really would not make much of a difference. The only suggestin i can give you is trial and error; once you render him white and he looks like an albino, you'll have it. I'm only telling you this because you described this as a bronze statue, but of a black man; i think its necessary to be able to tell even with a bronze render.

Again, beautiful job.
@darionmccoy

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 12:46:16 am
yes, thats something i have trouble with, since i dont actually remember the last time i saw a black man in real life.  black kids my age, but not an adult.  i hope that i dont offend anyone, but the fact is that i worked only from the general concepts of a broad nose, larger lips, afro-type hair, and round ears, which i honestly dont even know to be anything but a stereotype.  if anyone has any suggestions, im open to them, ive grown up surrounded by a bunch of white people drawing white people >.<
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 03:29:25 am
Lips still aren't big enough. It looks like he's sucking his lower lip in. Make the lower lip a bit bigger. Also, I don't think his nose is wide enough. Nostrils need to be large. You know, to take in lots of air. We blacks like our air.

Oh, and I really like the old purple better than that teal, though that may be because the teal isn't dark enough.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 03:57:49 am
The ear is too small. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Ari

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 04:32:15 am
Oh man... You amaze me man. So much talent. Very good job! It's mind boggling lol.
I see
Said the blind man
To his deff dog
In the corner of the round room.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 06:35:00 am
 Kick ass art there Adrias. Everyone's gotta try something new.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:24 pm
I made this little image from blackman22kp.png colors (since I couldn't open the others) as an example of color cannabalization.

You've used 13 colors to make 8 tones (I'm not counting black, since you only used it as a background). The tone on the farthest right could be contested, but bear with me for now.

I did a little experiment below, using 8 of your colors to represent 8 tones. The flat-looking thing is a cross ramp, which shows intersections of the colors. To the right of it, I've applied each ramp to its own sphere. This shows how we can make 8 colors look like 5 separate ramps of unique shades.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 06:15:07 pm
in this case, i feel that all (or at least most) of the colors have been necessary not for rendering, but for differentiating between warm and cool portions of the image, the interplay of which gives it its 'life'.  since the entire portion is composed of the same material, i dont really need to make separate color ramps.  perhaps you could explain what you were trying to show?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 11:54:42 am
just popping in to say that this is top notch and you get an A. it definitely conveys the metallic surface you were going for, eye-candy. especially the nice overall contrast is something i hardly ever get together

big brother, while probably not too relevant to this piece here, very nice and interesting. you don't happen to have a website/portfolio/criminal record online by any chance, i'm most intrigued by most of your work