AuthorTopic: ISO character  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

ISO character

on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:49 am

This guy's legs have been giving me quite a hard time. I have been gazing at him for so long that I can't really tell if he looks as awkward as I think he does. sytle was inspired by Shawn's PJ avatar. I would like to hear any help or suggestions you have to give on anything about this guy  :y:
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: ISO character

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 08:18:19 pm
The legs look cartoony but OK to me - I'm not the most skilled pixeler, though.

What I htink is that you should give him a bit of a belly to put the torso in line with the legs - if you don't want to make him look fat, cut some flesh from his back, leaning backwards stuff.

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:55 pm
It's not really iso, you need to follow the guide lines like this:

(Only feet are iso)

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:08:31 am
[/url]

Ok I see,thanks.  I tried to fix him up to isometric standards, not sure if I succeeded though   :P
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline haowan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:56 am
His upper body is still all side-on. At the moment the eyes are horizontal, and the shoulders are horizontal. The nipples are pretty much horizontal, and the hands are offset but not by enough to be at the same iso line as the feet.

Here's an edit to conform more to iso lines:

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:02:46 am
Hey Pixelation :] I have been working on this guy, pushing through my complete lack of isometric understanding. I'm fairly certain that this update is an improvement from what I have posted earlier but my biggest concern is if it meets the conditions to be considered isometric. Still a heavy WIP as I have remade it several times now, so it lacks detail. Any other comments will be greatly appreciated as well :]. PS: I am a notoriously slow at pixiling so sorry about it being so long in between updates (Not that anyone cares xD)
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 08:13:30 am
I really would not let your character design be dictated by pursitic iso rules.
honestly, I liked the very first version of your character a lot better - he looked much more lifelike; what you have now is very stiff.
I mean, who says that a person is always perfectly aligned to the front? Sometimes you may bend your head a little bit to the side or have a small twist in your posture - its those irregularities which make up the human shape.

I would do the following - create yourself a test environment with some iso tiles that are representative for your final environment (not graphically polished but size-wise), and put your character in there. Does he look wrong or right? Judge this with your artistic eye and do not draw perfect red lines to see if everything lines up.
Those tiles could be as simple as a basic grid on the floor.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:18:58 pm
Lots of conflicting statements in this thread lol. Not iso enough, doesn't need to be as iso.

Both of these look rather iso to me.
I really would not let your character design be dictated by pursitic iso rules.
I mean, who says that a person is always perfectly aligned to the front? Sometimes you may bend your head a little bit to the side or have a small twist in your posture - its those irregularities which make up the human shape.
This.
Aside from that, I like the original character proportions better, or maybe it's the hairstyle on the buff guy that puts me off. Keep going, and take a stab at making a couple more dudes in different poses or actions (chanting for a spell, ready weapon, etc).