AuthorTopic: First time - 32x32 sprite  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Cobb

• View Profile

First time - 32x32 sprite

on: June 08, 2011, 02:44:10 am
I made this after reading Tsugumo's tutorial and a tutorial by st0ven. I used the base from st0ven's tutorial.

I'm pretty proud that i finished and it came out looking like an actual person, but it looks pretty bad. Can anyone give me any advice?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:46:31 am by Cobb »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Re: First time - 32x32 sprite

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:52:41 am
first off, good work! for a first time sprite its not half bad!

now then, on to business
where is your light source?
also his left shoulder armor.. thing.. should be darker then the one up front, because its more behind him

i'll leave it at that and see what you come up with, good luck!

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:21:18 am
I made this after reading Tsugumo's tutorial and a tutorial by st0ven. I used the base from st0ven's tutorial.

I dont suggest you use any bases from any tutorial ive written (sometime looon ago). I had a tendency of making feet rather huge and proportions slightly awkward. Ive taken down those tutorials from my host quite a long time ago as well for a reason.

I now feel its my responsibility to thoroughly critique this properly, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Offline Cobb

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:45:32 am
first off, good work! for a first time sprite its not half bad!

now then, on to business
where is your light source?
also his left shoulder armor.. thing.. should be darker then the one up front, because its more behind him

i'll leave it at that and see what you come up with, good luck!

Thanks. The light source is suppose to be in his front and a little bit to his right. I tried making the back shoulder a little darker in the new version. I tried doing it more then what i did but it looked like his head was dislocated from his shoulders. I put what i did at the bottom if you could tell me what you think.

I dont suggest you use any bases from any tutorial ive written (sometime looon ago). I had a tendency of making feet rather huge and proportions slightly awkward. Ive taken down those tutorials from my host quite a long time ago as well for a reason.

I now feel its my responsibility to thoroughly critique this properly, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Wow, cool, looking forward to it. I get what you mean about the proportions. I did my best at redoing it.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:51:43 am by Cobb »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:11:39 am
I think its a good start mate. Imo, lose all black lines inside the shape and maybe even the one outside. with such limited size I dont think u can afford to ware pixels on black lines.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:18:15 am
So try not to think about bases this and guides and figures that. your task when drawing a sprite is to get as much information as you can into a set sized area. the JRPG's that came out during the SNES era particularly from Squaresoft at the time all had rather similar proportions and headsizes and such. Theyre good to learn and study to see what about them works, but ultimately using them or someone elses base is only going to make your work look like theirs.

If youre a figure drawer, youll know intimately that the human figure has a lot of curves and complexities to it. You dont have the luxury of space to illustrate them, so you will have to suffice with suggesting those forms with a pixel or groups of pixels. If there is a thin outline between one shape and another, it would be wise in a sprite of this size not to draw that outline, but rather let either color or value separate the two shapes.

Note that large vertical lines will tend to make your character look unnaturally stiff. The best way to counter this is to get some asymmetry in your stance and having the arms contour outwards away from the body a bit. Your feet and hands dont have to be that big, it will look more natural for the bulk of the mass to be concentrated in the head/shouders and torso.

Its not easy, it certainly takes a lot of experimenting and adjusting. Save out several different stages of your progress if you find that you are drastically shifting your sprite's pose or proportions, that way you can open them up afterwords and compare them to see which direction you are most happy with. Ultimately theres no 'right' way to go about it, so long as your end result looks natural. Someone else can come into this thread and do some other proportions that may look completely different but still feel entirely correct. youll have to find your own personal style and preferences through lots of practice.

Offline Cobb

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 08:46:36 am
I think its a good start mate. Imo, lose all black lines inside the shape and maybe even the one outside. with such limited size I dont think u can afford to ware pixels on black lines.

Thanks man. I took out all the black outlines like you suggested. I definitely like it a lot better, it looks a lot realer and less pixelated.

So try not to think about bases this and guides and figures that. your task when drawing a sprite is to get as much information as you can into a set sized area. the JRPG's that came out during the SNES era particularly from Squaresoft at the time all had rather similar proportions and headsizes and such. Theyre good to learn and study to see what about them works, but ultimately using them or someone elses base is only going to make your work look like theirs.

If youre a figure drawer, youll know intimately that the human figure has a lot of curves and complexities to it. You dont have the luxury of space to illustrate them, so you will have to suffice with suggesting those forms with a pixel or groups of pixels. If there is a thin outline between one shape and another, it would be wise in a sprite of this size not to draw that outline, but rather let either color or value separate the two shapes.

Note that large vertical lines will tend to make your character look unnaturally stiff. The best way to counter this is to get some asymmetry in your stance and having the arms contour outwards away from the body a bit. Your feet and hands dont have to be that big, it will look more natural for the bulk of the mass to be concentrated in the head/shouders and torso.

Its not easy, it certainly takes a lot of experimenting and adjusting. Save out several different stages of your progress if you find that you are drastically shifting your sprite's pose or proportions, that way you can open them up afterwords and compare them to see which direction you are most happy with. Ultimately theres no 'right' way to go about it, so long as your end result looks natural. Someone else can come into this thread and do some other proportions that may look completely different but still feel entirely correct. youll have to find your own personal style and preferences through lots of practice.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I decided to take up pixeling, and i guess visual arts as a whole,  last week and reading about color theory, human anatomy, shading and lighting, and all that is really overwhelming and hard to retain. Hearing it explained to me in casual post as opposed to didactic tutorials is really refreshing. Looking at the original, I definitely see what you mean about the vertical lines making the sprite look stiff. I tried adding some curves or tried to suggest curves in the places i could. And I can see what you mean about not adding black outlines to illustrate such a thin line when the space itself is so small already. The black outline really ended up owning the sprite in retrospect.

I ended up with this. I went back and forth on so many minor differences, I'm really exhausted. Pretty depressing it took so long to come up with this. But i do like it alot more. Id appreciate any more help.

Offline 8bitbeard

• View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:21 am
A really good ressource for good advice on learning to draw and understanding the fundamentals is this blog http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:10 am
Dont be depressed that probably just means ur worn out from learning or frustrated at progress I dunno but just keep going,  if u want even leave that guy as he is do sone more characters, backgrounds, buildings etc and u will learn more and u can go back to him when u feel like it.
Just a suggestion that for inspiration watch game of thrones if u aren't already. Its  a crazy awesome medieval fantasy tv show not airing here in australia yet so I have to download I'm so hooked and I just want to draw every time I watch it if only I had more time...

Offline Cobb

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 05:44:54 am
A really good ressource for good advice on learning to draw and understanding the fundamentals is this blog http://sevencamels.blogspot.com/

Thanks, bookmarked it, ill check it out.

Dont be depressed that probably just means ur worn out from learning or frustrated at progress I dunno but just keep going,  if u want even leave that guy as he is do sone more characters, backgrounds, buildings etc and u will learn more and u can go back to him when u feel like it.
Just a suggestion that for inspiration watch game of thrones if u aren't already. Its  a crazy awesome medieval fantasy tv show not airing here in australia yet so I have to download I'm so hooked and I just want to draw every time I watch it if only I had more time...

Haha. Yea i love that show man, i'm watching Rome too, they're both really good. I guess thats why i drew this little king guy. But yeah, i'm gonna take your advice and just drop this guy and move on. Thanks for all your help.