AuthorTopic: [WIP] Kill-a-Merb  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Bag Man

• View Profile

[WIP] Kill-a-Merb

on: June 02, 2011, 10:53:40 pm
Well, I'm working on a new project. It's kind of zombie game. I changed the style and the size. Please C&C.

UPDATE:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:57:02 pm by Bag Man »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: [WIP] Kill-a-Merb

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:52:28 pm
I find the sprites rather bland; I would suggest you give them more detail, a context (a background, tiles, a mock-up, etc.) or animations to spice them up a bit. I would also tweak the palette to make it more visually appealing: you could go for a more saturated palette or something more gritty, depending on the feel you want to give to the game.
I'd like more info on the game, see more... basically you have to make us want to see more of this!
Good luck!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Garreth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:45:15 am
You're kidding right? Looks great to me, I want to see more.
The style is great, I'd play this game.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:54:08 am
I agree with Chris2Balls (almost wrote 3Balls then  :lol: ).

The problem is especially true of the main characters. They look just as general as the back up characters. Generally main characters need to be "larger than life" in SOME aspect. For instance, if you want them to be rednecks (as a random example), they should be REALLY redneck. Trucker hat, stains on the singlet, shotguns out the wazoo. If you want them mild mannered, they should be almost to a fault. This makes them stick way out in the audience's mind.

Take Metal Slug, for example. You've got these guys wearing NO ARMOUR, eye patches, bandanas, and the like, because they are so at peace with the chaos. The warzone is their home. They even start laughing when they blow up a tank the size of a house. This is fun for them.

Or take, say, James Bond. He isn't some robotic government agent, quiet and orderly. He throws quips at his adversaries, throws a cocked eyebrow even in the most tense situations. He doesn't have the odd romance on his travels, he sleeps with EVERY damn woman between home and the objective. He is larger than life, and becomes unforgettable.

You can do this with pretty much any main character. Harry Potter - he isn't just a wizard, he's a wizard of incredible talent. He is the only surviving member of his immediate family. He doesn't just attend Hogwarts, he's at the centre of all the major events. Then Ron Weasley is a complete flip. He's hesitant, not so talented, has a whole garble of siblings and stays out of the limelight. All of these aspects make him more than just a reserved character, he is LARGER THAN LIFE reserved.

Okay so those are kind of really random (probably not the best) examples right off the top of my head, but my point is, think to yourself "what do I want the personalities of the main characters to be?" Then try in every possible way to push that into the extreme, to make it larger than life. You can take to the point of being comically exaggerated, which you can keep if thats what you want, but there'll be a point where you go "okay this is too far" in which case its pretty easy to dial it back a bit until you get the right amount.

Give it a try! I think you'll instantly have more personality breathed into the game. Even try it with the zombies. They are the shambling dead, brainless and thirsty (thirsty?) for brains! Push that element to the extreme (metal slug 3's zombies are an EXCELLENT example of this).

Outside of those design considerations, I think your characters could do with a good deal more saturated colours. Especially the main characters. Something eye-catching so the player can find them at a glance. I would do the redesign of the characters before worrying about that, though.

UP to you, though.  ;D

Offline Bag Man

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:06:45 am
Well, thank you guys for your comments.

I started working on it and these are the results,

The zombie guy needs a little details on his t-shirt, of course. 

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:04:51 am
better, but...

this is what i meant in my previous post.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42:02 am
I like the concept of the 2D art spawning from distance and not just coming out of the right and left frame.

I guess you want the main character to look like a casual dude just beating the crap out of some zombies. But he really do need some "character" right now he looks a bit too friendly for his bicebs.

Did a little edit:

good luck!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:04:14 am by coffee »