AuthorTopic: critique requested  (Read 4006 times)

Offline tatsumichi

• View Profile

critique requested

on: May 30, 2011, 09:07:37 pm

The animation itself doesnt really matter that much, but i just wanted some feedback on this little guy before i go redo/finish the rest of them.  its for a shooting platformer...

Added a still frame. the poopy animation was just a test haha
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:15:02 am by tatsumichi »

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: critique requested

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 04:47:38 am
wait, why doesnt the animation matter again? I think im missing something. The animation makes the sprite appear far more jarring than any pixel treatment or character work. what do the before/after shots of your chars look like? that would be helpful to see id think.

Offline tatsumichi

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:23:51 am
I'm redoing the animation, so the animation itself doesnt really matter that much.  i was kinda jsut wondering what people thought about the actual pixel work.  i should just post the first frame haha. 

what do you mean by before/after shots?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:23:34 am
I'm seeing lots of jaggies right now, especially on the... Everywhere.

The positioning of the arms doesn't look that comfortable. Noticing this mostly on his left arm. It's really straight, and although I'm assuming this is the fault of perspective, I'd like to see it in more of a bent stance, like you have on one frame in the animation.

His eyes are kinda strange. Not that they creep me out, (but that is a lot of eyeliner,) it's just that they seem to be staring off into the distance rather than at anything in front of him. Pretty sure it's the angle of the head--it's looking almost straight at us, but again his eyes are looking to the right. I think you wouldn't be able to get a good look at anything in front of you that way.

The shading is about almost as jarring as the animation. It wouldn't hurt to put another shade or two in, unless you've run into limits. Or for that matter make the hue-shifting on the palette more noticeable.

I also notice your lightsource is a tad bit inconsistent. On that guy/girl's hair, it's coming in from the upper left, but from the top on his/her shirt it seems. Perhaps extending the head's shadow would help?

And I know this doesn't really matter seeing as you're scrapping it, but on the animation the darkest shade of the shirt seems to alternate between black and gray. Personally I prefer the black you have.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:51:45 am by pistachio »

Offline tatsumichi

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:13:46 am
Thank you so much for your detailed crit. You allowed me to notice some things that i didn't pay attention to for the reworking (im lowering the resolution and drawing out each frame for the animations). 

Ill definitely add at least on more shade of each color since you mentioned it.

thanks!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 08:26:47 am
Well, you don't really have to do that for each shade.

Taking a close look at the sprite I see a lot of colors you only used once. For example, a light purple on the cuff of the jeans (which was gotten rid of), and a slightly-lighter-than-the-darkest-skin-tone on... the ear, I think it was. Also got a bit more economical here; such as using a darker jean color to fill in for the lightest shirt color, using the lightest hair color as the whites of the eyes, and using the third lightest hair color to bridge the gap between the sharply contrasting skin colors (sort of). Yes, and they're both still yellow! But tell me if you notice at a glance.
Also got rid of a couple of colors you didn't use much, and didn't need. Ex., getting rid of the darkest eye color and further making the eye color a bit brighter, to focus equal attention to them and not just the hair. To make up for that, I put in that extra shade onto the hair I kept talking about. It's about the largest blot of shade and color in the sprite (aside from the shirt, but it's pretty dark), and needs more attention than the rest.

It was a bit hard to define the gender. I can't really imagine a guy with so much eyeliner (or something that suggests it), even in the wacky world of manga/anime...Actually, that might be a bit more plausible, albeit for reasons undefined. But I'll just go with somewhere towards female. My edit does look a bit more feminine after all. I suppose because I made it slightly thinner.

Had a tiny problem with the way the arms were bent. Even when I suggested more of a bent stance, that didn't really look right, to be honest. So I tried doing it another way--the sprite's left arm is bent perpendicular to the right arm, if not a bit straighter. I think it looks better, pertaining more to the rules of foreshortening. Foreshortening, well, you might describe it as when perspective makes a limb seem shorter than it actually is. Put your arm straight out in front of you, and I think you'll see what I mean. If not, oh well.

On that note, last but not least, fixed the angle of the head by making the right side (the sprite's left side) flatter, to give the illusion of the head being round and looking off to the right. It was actually rather easy, just selecting, dragging it off to the left, and pushing around a few pixels to finish it off.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:56:19 am by pistachio »

Offline pikminboy111

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 01:23:45 pm
just encase you forgot or somthing. he has somewhat long hair. in the animation it needs to bounce even the slightest. (unless hes got alot of gel or moose) it would make it fell even more real. just a small thing. playing the shot-them-up that wouldn't even matter. cause you would only give him a glance. but yeah... :-\

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 07:47:51 pm
other then whats already been mentioned the only thing i can pick out is that you cant really see the mouth, so its kinda hard to really get a read of the expression being made
which, in my opinion, is important for a character to be able to get a feel of who they're supposed to be

Offline piffany

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:07:02 pm
As people said before, his arms look funny. It's hard to tell what directions they are bent toward because the outline and the shading aren't coherent. I like the guy's eyes though--very creepy, if that's what you're going for.
--Piffany
Disclaimer: I am still fairly new at pixel art, so please don't be offended by my negative critiques :)