AuthorTopic: Zomby  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Zomby

on: May 22, 2011, 01:14:36 pm
Heydy, working on a zombie character here. Looking to finalize a single frame then work on animations for him, here's what I have so far
(left to right shows initial to progressions)

Having a nightmare defining the brain in the little speech bubble, probably worth my using a white tone for the bubble itself too.

[Updated]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:24:46 am by Cilein »
<3 programming and pixels

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Zomby

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:32:50 am
Heya, I tried to give your brain some more definition and clean up some pixels. I think you're antialiasing a bit much which gives you banding and muddles details you want to stick out.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:03:01 pm
Good crit, thanks! I cleaned up the brain, tweaked the palette and fixed some AA problems. Started attempting an animation for the zomby. Just main frames at the mo, I intend to have twice as many once these are cleaned up,

[Edit]: seems like imageShack isn't allowing animated gif uploads for free users, moved to photobucket :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:13:02 pm by Cilein »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:08:23 pm
Any reason to limit the palette so much? I think the pants could use some color separation from the skin, and the purple doesn't look particularly fleshy. The contrast is much better in the latest version!

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:56:24 pm
Haha I believe the answer is habit! I'll add a color or two and play with my palettes for the next edit, been having trouble using fireworks to tweak the palettes though, anyone recommend either a palette editor or a better mac compatible pixel art editor? I tried Pixen for a while but it kept messing with my palettes and crashing : :mean:

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 02:03:16 pm
I wish GraphicsGale was available for Mac! What are you using now? I learned how to pixel in Photoshop, but it's not the best suited program for it.

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 02:10:54 pm
I use Fireworks for animated work but tweaking palettes and color selection is rubbish on it (quite possible I'm just bad at doing those things probably..), I use photoshop for static pieces and love that, I know I can assemble animations of pShop but it's quite awkward there. Are you making your animated pieces in pShop?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 02:32:33 pm
Sometimes I use Photoshop for animation because I prefer the way its Layers behave in some ways, but typically I'll just stick with GraphicsGale. Photoshop is great for tweaking palettes though! Hue/Saturation Adjustment is a great tool along with Color Balance and Gradient Map.

Edit: Oh! And if you're animating in Photoshop, be sure to change it from Timeline view to Frame view! Frame view is completely straightforward for this kind of thing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:34:49 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Cilein

• Pixel <3
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 02:38:39 pm
Yeah I've used pShop before to animate, thanks for the tips, time for me to get used to it again now!

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 03:16:48 am
Sometimes I use Photoshop for animation because I prefer the way its Layers behave in some ways, but typically I'll just stick with GraphicsGale. Photoshop is great for tweaking palettes though! Hue/Saturation Adjustment is a great tool along with Color Balance and Gradient Map.

Edit: Oh! And if you're animating in Photoshop, be sure to change it from Timeline view to Frame view! Frame view is completely straightforward for this kind of thing.

I have CS5 but I would never use it for pixeling. You should try Pixen. It's a little glitchy, but hey, it's a pixel program for Mac.