AuthorTopic: Working on a game  (Read 9176 times)

Offline Ürch

• I live in dreaming through the hours
    • View Profile

Working on a game

on: May 21, 2011, 01:02:01 am

The lighter brown (solid color) tiles are placeholders, I haven't decided what kind of tile I want to put there yet. Haven't started on the character or enemies yet. The Generic Spikes of Doom are likely to be replaced with some sort of fiery thing, and the door will probably be re-done. I mainly need crit on the basic background/foreground tiles.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:31:00 am by Ürch »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Working on a mockup

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 05:41:02 am
The whole thing seems washed-out, lacking contrast. At least darken the background. Foreground could use a bit of darkening, as well. If these are supposed to be ruins or some sort of temple maybe make a few "broken" brick tiles?

Offline Ürch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:25:13 pm

I made everything more colorful and tried to darken the background a bit more, also I added some tiles that have a red light thing on them instead of a greenish one. I still need to do the player sprite.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:21 am
I actually like the first palette more. I think it would look better, though if you add some contrast. Try adjusting the highlights and shadows to more intense values and see how that looks.

Offline Ürch

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 03:18:19 am

this is the character guy. his name is jack. he throws/conjures knives at various things. like enemies, for example. i don't really know exactly what i'm gonna do for animating him.

i will edit this post with updated tile palette soon.

EDIT:

here is the updated palette and jack in the mockup now
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:30:51 am by Ürch »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:57:43 am
Mixed resolution makes this seem weird. Maybe it's not a mixed resolution but those foreground bricks are strangely done. you also could benefit from some variation tiles. For w.e reason this reminds me of Sonic, and could provide a great resource to reference. I like the red/green (maybe its closer to yellow/greenish blue now) interplay btwn the bg and the foreground. You also gotta add some fading bricks or something to transition into that darker area. Those spikes are also in the wrong perspective, they have to be more head on, side view, like the bricks are.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:59:35 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Ürch

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:52:29 pm

all the tiles are 16x16 but the character is 16x24. if that's what you meant by resolution, i guess i could figure out a way to squish the character's sprite down?

EDIT:since i've made some changes to them, here is an updated tileset and mockup.

the darker brick tiles at the edges of the image might not look that amazing but i think they're more effective at drawing the eye towards the parts of the screen that you can actually interact with than the previous solid-dark spaces.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:49:48 pm by Ürch »

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:11:28 pm
I think the confusing thing about your wall tiles is that they appear to be lit from the bottom-right if you look at the outer edge of them, but the internal bricks are lit from the top-left.

Also, the way you're using the solid brown tiles inside the wall kind of makes it look like the wall is hollow, which I'm guessing isn't intentional?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:45 pm
I think the confusing thing about your wall tiles is that they appear to be lit from the bottom-right if you look at the outer edge of them, but the internal bricks are lit from the top-left.

Also, the way you're using the solid brown tiles inside the wall kind of makes it look like the wall is hollow, which I'm guessing isn't intentional?

You know what, I always had a fair bit of trouble seeing what you mean. I still do, but seeing as you've explained it, it's lessened. I always saw it as some sort of intricate pattern carved into or painted on the brick (albeit not all that readable). I think that's because of the inconsistent lighting you just pointed out. Consider fixing, pl0x?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 01:22:59 pm
I honestly can't decipher any kind of lighting from these tiles. The main tile with the sideways comb-like pattern just looks abstract so me... Can you explain what you want these tiles to communicate? I think the green color and light brown are too close in value if you want to use them to convey lighting.