AuthorTopic: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated many times*  (Read 10842 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated 2*

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 09:12:26 pm
Wooooow...This is pure awesomeness.
It's very instructive for me and the result is just beautiful. Thank you very much for this. I think I won't edit it because I would only screw it up :(
Do you allow me to use it?

Anyway, I'll (re)start workingon the tree now :)

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 10:11:06 pm
I tried doing a tree but it ended up really really bad. I'm afraid there will be many many versions of it :

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 10:23:38 pm
i think you should try and learn from it before you just use his, even if the basic lineart is the same but you shade it yourself will help you learn a great deal

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 10:31:08 pm
I surely will but not today...I'm sick of this cliff >_<

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 11:42:51 pm
Yeah, vedsten's edit is very very sexy (which reminds me, will you have my tiled babies?)

fil: Please do try and edit. Though vedsten's edit is great, it surely isn't complete, as vedsten himself mentions. Study the example he's given you, work on it yourself as well. It'd be a great learning experience, even if you don't finish an edit. Vertical contrast, yes, but something else as well: the grass doesn't seem to match with the cliff. It seems to be below the jutting rocks, which shouldn't be completely true. An edit on that would be crucial as well.

As for the tree, do what vedsten said: break it up. Break the leaves up into bunches of leaves, and compose the trunk one internode at a time. It'd be better than trying to do it all at once.

Best of luck. :)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 05:14:40 am
Hmm seems your edit of my tileset is becomming quite an experience. Glad to see you working so hard. Might want to use some tree references, and see how they're laid out and shaded. Right now you're trying to shade to evently from all directions (which is bad). With the tree, the trunk should be all 'dark' because the leaves above it are blocking out the light. The top most of the tree should be significantly brighter than the rest. Anways good luck with the tiles.

@Vedsten: Awesome job on the tutorial, kinda looks like my rock had bebies though XD.

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 10:19:01 am
I gave a first try at editing vedsten's cliff but it was...horrible. I'll try coloring it by myself in a few days, when I'll have forgotten a bit the exact shading he did. (Actually I could redraw it pixel per pixel without any difference xD ).

I started a new tree, here's the actual progression :

I'm not trying to make a tutorial of this (because tutorial<=> good) but I think it makes the crits easier. Also, I have no idea about what I should do next. Draw each leaf's lineart?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated many times*

Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 01:14:18 pm
Almost everything you do is pillow shaded. Grab a light source. The light source on your reference is pretty obvious. Oh, and don't draw individual leaves. Just copy the style of the reference...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 02:06:20 pm
the reference though is sideview where the tiles are topdown, id suggest shading it as more or less a sphere.  i have a step-by-step of my coloring of it that i will post once im on a computer that can handle uploads (hosting services are banned on this network)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 05:01:06 pm
News :
Xenodrogen gave my a complete "trunk lesson", then I tried to do a new one by myself, it was not perfect either so he corrected it too. Obviously, I'll use on of his xD
I planned the shading of the tree (which is not done), this is some kind of sketch about the lighsource and all :

Will it be ok if I proceed this way?