AuthorTopic: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated many times*  (Read 10844 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles
Since Xenodrogen allowed me to rip one of his tilesets for one of my game projects, I try adding tiles to it. Here is what I have by now :

All these tiles were done by him except the cliff, I wish I could have some C&C about it (the cliff). Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:20:22 am by fil_razorback »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 05:34:52 pm
The shading on the whole cliff suggests it's a flat volume, while the shape of the grass at the top and the curve at the bottom suggest it's more of a cilindrical shape. I'd shade the rocks at the sides darker, and the ones in the middle lighter, to indicate that shape. Also, putting darker tones near the bottom of the cliff and lighter ones moving towards the top would convey less flatness.

I like the shading on the rocks, they look very "rocky". But i think it would help if you indicated more of a lightsource coming from above, right now it looks somewhat like it's coming from the front. Nice dithering and color usage though.

Maybe add another darker shade in between the rocks also, to make it pop a bit more.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 07:49:59 pm
Your dither doesn't match with the original tiles. The rocks on the cliff look randomly lit...the original tiles suggest a lightsource from directly above and, on that rock, slightly to the right. I can see a few rocks of yours that don't follow that lightsource. It'd be cool if you made some of the rocks have a little more pop-outage and cast shadows on the rocks beneath them.
Cool so far. You gonna make a whole set?

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 09:14:16 pm
Good colours.

The grass and the "top" gfx are well, but i think you need work the rocks, is a little rare.

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 10:32:44 am
Edit :

I think it's much better, isn't it?
C&C about the trunk (I'll add leavage soon) is welcome too.

@Xion Night : Yes I plan making a whole set :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 10:34:24 am by fil_razorback »

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Re: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated 05/07/06*

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 11:15:07 am
for me the rocks are at the same stile, yes are improved but if you view the quality of the top gfx are very well but the rocks not have the same quality.

About the trunk i think is a little pillow shaded, i will tree to make more details.

Offline fil_razorback

• View Profile

Re: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated 05/07/06*

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 02:54:36 pm
Cliif update (completely redone...again) :

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Continuation of a Xenodrogen tileset *Updated 2*

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 04:41:52 pm
I liked the second version better. I think you could add more diversity to the divisions on the rock, meaning there should be rocks with a greater area and others with a smaller one, more broken up, to indicate the randomness present in nature (which was more evi dent on your first version). Right now, it's a bit repetitive.
The texture on each individual rock could be changed to taper around the rock, it looks a bit random and flat now (referring to the lighter rock color).
But the fixes you did look good to me otherwise, namely the new shading style. I can't say i like the third one too much. Sorry :)

Regarding the tree, i think you should keep the lightsource from above as in the cliff. Right now it looks like light's coming from the side. Have the base of the tree look more cilindrical, it looks as if you're looking at it directly ahead rather than from above. Otherwise it's nice.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 05:38:03 pm
it seems to me you have some problems with the basic structure of the stones. The 2. vers. is way better, but there are stil alot of issues.

I was bored so i did an edit

step 1: Split the suject you wanna dew into specific defined tiles, it'll help you ensuring they'll actually be tilable

step 2: The 4 left (and right) right tiles are special cause they have to be combinable with both them selves and the middle fraction. In this case, the easiest way to go about it, is to make sure they can be combined with itself. This can be a bit tricky, but you'll quickly get the hang of it. Also, when you draw the stones, start at the bottom and work your way up, it'll create a somewhat beliavable structure.

step 3: Repeat the step above on the right part

step: 4 I accidently deleted a step, but doing step 2 and 3, you have the lines on both sides of the middle part. Fill the middle tiles with stones and connecting the right and left part. The left and right tiles are now tileable with them selves as well as the middle.

step 5: Start shading the bastard (actually i fucked up here, it's better to block out the basic coloring), stay away from the extreme right and left stones! I advise you to try replicating the style of his stone on a much smaller scale. Don't stop tilll you confident you have it, and you'll saveyourself a LOT of trouble when you move on to the actuall cliff structure

step 6: Copy the 4 left and right stones to the places they'll have be when there tiled later on, now start shading the blank places away

step 7: Dew your final touchups

Notes: there are some issues with my edit that I don't bother change, but you should look into. The main prob. is the lack of vertical contrast between the bottom and and top of the stones (like this http://www.inventiveminds.dk/vedsten/temp/mockup3.gif) I tried fixing it in step 7 (with low succes), but really, it would've been much easier doing it in step 5 (blocking out colors)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 08:35:10 pm
vedsten's edit is a beaut', wish i could just whip out that kinda stuff. tiles are not my thing >.<
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.