AuthorTopic: The ULTIMATE combination?  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

The ULTIMATE combination?

on: May 05, 2006, 08:59:07 pm
I wanted to do something a bit weirder and more restricted palette-wise, and this is the result: a partially cybernetic ex-ninja vampire pirate.

Previous:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Vampirate.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Vampirate3.PNG

Current:

8 colours. C&C?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:55:15 am by Tremulant »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: My dream job

Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:11:41 pm
nice man, i dont really see anything to crit.
of course, its not like im helm or anything  :P

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 10:21:02 pm
Here, I did an edit:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:25:40 pm by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:59:14 pm
Updated.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Godslayer, your edit brings up some nice points that I've begun to look at (and addressed a bit in the first update). Also points out my stupidity, 'cause I should've seen that that one colour was completely pointless...
Live and learn I guess. :P

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:15:12 am
His muscles still look a bit too rounded, especialy in the arms and midsection. You should darken the less prominent areas, such as his shins, abs, and upper arm, to give it a sense of form. I enjoyed working on it. ;D
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 07:59:30 am
This is a really nice stylised piece, I love the colours! I like the little shines you've got going on on his arms.

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 09:17:02 pm
Meh, just messing around here xP, did a lil edit.

Probably not my place *Shrug*

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: The ULTIMATE combination

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 09:51:03 pm
Another minor update.

Tinygiant: Heh thanks. I'm glad you like it. Do you mean the metal shines or godslayer's awesome twinkles (cause I love those too)?

Godslayer: I'm trying to work on what you're pointing out. In the new edit, I added some darker shades on the upper arm/shoulder, and darkened the shins. As for the roundness of the muscles, I dunno, just going for a bit of exaggeration. I guess I don't fully understand what you mean about that, but that's cause I'm slow ;).

Billeh: I think I used most of the stuff I picked up on in your edit in the update, mainly increasing the highlights on the headband. Thanks for the edit!

Thanks for the crits everyone. C&C obviously still welcome ;D

EDIT:
Agh.. forgot to mention why I said I loved GS's twinkles yet didn't use 'em. Soo... it's basically 'cause of the white outline. I like it, so I left it on, and the twinkles can't really coesxist with it. Opinions on which is better are more than welcome, 'cause it's a toss up for me at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 12:17:02 am by Tremulant »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: The ULTIMATE combination?

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 05:19:24 am
Cybernetic ninja pirate vampire? You left a part out, needs to be female XD. Close enough, anyways excellent piece. The outline's a nice touch, but seems a bit jagged around some areas (leg and > tricept). Pants seem a bit over wrinkly too. I love that expression though, its great.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 02:33:28 am
hmm I just want to say I don't really like the design of this.  It just seems like you took one limb or member and decided to give it some type of attribute.  A more well thought out design, where there are pirate and ninja and whatever bit everywhere on the peice and not just on a few select spots (with the torso/chest being something random) would be far more interesting.  but for what this is, it's good, and the pixel work is also good.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:47:32 pm
Thanks again for the crits, guys.

Dhaos: Boobs, right! ...Knew I forgot something. The pants are pretty sketchy, huh? I honestly haevn't done a lot of fold/cloth study, so I usually slap a bunch of wrinkles on an hope for the best ;). On that note, if anyone knows of any good references for that sort of thing, I'm all for it.

Darien: heh, yeah... the design is [understatement] pretty weak [/understatement]. Honestly though, what you mentioned (slapping on random attributes) was pretty much the extent of the design process. I was actually forced to limit myself in the end, 'cause I just kept throwing stuff on as a means of poking fun at my own juvenile stupidity ;D. I think at one point he was, in addition to what you see here, a cowboy fireman with a jetpack.

I think this is pretty well finished. Much appreciation to all who critted, and if I didn't put your crits to use then... I dunno, yell at me or somethig, 'cause all were good, and it probably just slipped my mind (oh, and as always, further crits still welcomed. I'm still up for fixing any flaws, glaring or otherwise).