AuthorTopic: [WIP] Set of the Doomguy smiles  (Read 7612 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Set of the Doomguy smiles

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:08:01 pm
The ones that needs the most work, imho, are "crying", "cool", "sad", "bleeding eyes" and "pirate".

- the tears colours is too dark. Use lighter blue, and possibly add a tears pool under the "smiley"
- the temples for the sunglasses on top of the helmet do not work. You may want to oversize the glasses, but do not try to show the temples. Or you may want to use another FPS-guy that would be identified as "cooler than the Doomguy" and who wears sunglasses.

Offline Jabberwock

• View Profile
    • Doom2D forever

Re: [WIP] Set of the Doomguy smiles

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:06:26 am
Wow, so many answers!

Sorry, I was offline few days and didnt recieve all your advices in time. But I did a new template and still experimenting.

Now I must decide, which variant is better:
1. could i make faces with oversized eyes
2. or use more traditional anatomy  
----
Quote from: Mathias
Your template is wrong. Its doesn't leave nearly enough room for facial expressiveness.
New template have a bigger place to face .

Quote from: Mathias
Jabber, why not use other enemies/characters from the DOOM series in yer emoticons? Couple barons, couple caco's.
Of course! Caco have the best smile from all game monsters. But I'll do it later, my current target is Taggart (Doomguy).

For the crying one, I'd put tear eruptions on the sides of the helmet. Same idea for an angry smiley: red zigzaging lines in the 'background' would convey the emotion. I don't know if animation can be used.

A more radical change, maybe reducing the contrast between face and helmet would help.
I will try it all. But can you make a sample of "red zigzaging lines", 16х16? Didnt understand what you mean.

You need to get rid of the black lines for eyebrows on number 8, they make the eyes too cluttered.  I'd also get rid of the highlighted areas above the eyes on number 3, they make the eyes seem to bulge.
I'll try.

Also... the "asshead" Icon...
Really, Asshead was born from face template with adding only three pixels, at this time i was bored and it seems drolly for me. There is no Asshead in second version.

The ones that needs the most work, imho, are "crying", "cool", "sad", "bleeding eyes" and "pirate".

- the tears colours is too dark. Use lighter blue, and possibly add a tears pool under the "smiley"
- the temples for the sunglasses on top of the helmet do not work. You may want to oversize the glasses, but do not try to show the temples. Or you may want to use another FPS-guy that would be identified as "cooler than the Doomguy" and who wears sunglasses.
I'll try it. And, remember, there is no FPS-guy "cooler than the Doomguy"!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:44:27 am by Jabberwock »