AuthorTopic: couple unfinished things..  (Read 9917 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

couple unfinished things..

on: May 04, 2006, 04:43:11 am

c&c appreciated.
Things ill probably be changing are the guy's shirt so it is more loose at the waist and not tucked in and weird.
Possible changing the little dude's right arm(our left), the pose of it is awkward.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 04:56:15 am by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: couple unfinished things..

Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 05:07:34 am
some of the things you're doing with colors work, some not so much, but it's too early to tell for sure what will survive your tweaks in pulling it all together. For now, I'm intrigued. Show progress, if you will.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 02:04:06 am
What's with the laying-down dude's near lower pant leg? In the back, it looks like a skirt or something.
His head looks kinda flat.
It looks like his right pec (our left) is coming too far left.
I'm having a hard time imagining what he could be laying on and where the viewer is in comparison.
It looks like his shoulder is too bulbous in comparison to the rest of his arm...like samus' shoulder. *

In the smaller one, it looks like that grey you used on the shins and chest are a bit too neutral when set among the surrounding hues of flesh. There's no kind of buffer, and it looks very out of place. Also, in such a small piece where every pixel counts, the grey makes the character look quite cluttered unless zoomed in to, like, 3x, and even then it's somewhat confusing. I like the low contrast on the large piece, but not so much on the smaller one.

*Yeah, you know way more about anatomy than me, so I may be quite wrong.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 08:55:12 pm
i wish there was more stuff like this here... ;_; kudos to you mang
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 05:21:45 am
Interesting, folds are really good on the pants, but since the 1st image is very unfinished, its hard to say much more. I can't figure out what the 2nd image is, maybe a dude with an tatoo pattern on his body?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:24:55 pm
i wish there was more stuff like this here...

here's another..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 06:56:51 pm
this is the kind of stuff I usually have to deal with, but are you hue-shifting just for the hell of it? It seems hue-shifts (since we gave then a name and everything) might be the next pixel-art trend! Suits me, but a little theory (not too much, I ain't pretending to get it all) might be in order

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:58:33 pm
hm? I dont understand what you said.
I like to work with aspects of the Munsell color theory.
The last pic uses a green, orange/tan, purple, yellow, red, and grey. If you look at your skin, you can see all these colors in it.
The purple/blue you can see in your veins, the red near less fatty areas. The yellows near lit areas(or light grey/blue due to the sky).
The green can be seen near shadowy areas where it can be also a bit desaturated or near veins. The orange/tan for the general skin mid-tones.
Nothing is completely one hue or value.
The munsell system incorporates Chroma which is a value scale between neutral color(greys) and saturated color.
I like to use different chroma values froms different hues to help produce the effect of light effecting different surfaces.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:17:54 pm
You seem to understand what I said just fine. The color theory you present seems sound (for all I know!) but the resulting effect is -whereas interesting- not as effective as it should be I guess. Maybe you're working too small here? The bigger piece doesn't suffer as much as the small ones. They look a bit patchwork-ish due to the colorshift rendering. Also, greenish tint flesh shadow might not be the most appealing choice ever.

Do you want anatomy critique?

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 08:49:18 pm
sure, anatomy critique is always welcome(i'm not sure what isn't)..
an arm..