AuthorTopic: Cactus Cat  (Read 5488 times)

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Cactus Cat

on: April 23, 2011, 12:38:32 am
I like how this looks so far.  But before I post this on PixelJoint I was hoping I could get some advice on how I could get rid of the jaggies around the curves in his ears and smooth the outlines out more.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:08:33 pm by Im King Louie »

Offline Ovyx

• View Profile

Re: Cactus Cat

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:09:15 am
Anti-Aliasing. I learned it from this helpful tutorial by Gas13, you might want to apply some more shading as well, Good luck!  ;)
http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/handmade_antialiasing.php

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:44:05 am
I agree with Ovyx, in that additional shading could definitely help define forms. Right now it seems a bit hard to understand. The crossed-arms look a little weird, too, like they're not actually crossed but rather joined somehow. It also took me a moment to realize those were blushing cheeks. That color seems to stand out too much. Consider placing it with pink or the blue you used in its/her mouth. Overall the whole thing seems... Deformed, somehow. In a slightly aesthetically grotesque way. No offense. Even if it is a style I can't say it's perfect as-is.

Also, what makes this so "cactus"-ey? Are you going to add a cactus-like pattern, maybe thorns or a cactus flower later on? What?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:47:07 am by pistachio »

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:03:35 am
I'll have to practice with AA some more.  As you can see, I already tried some AA in the eye slits, am I doing it right?  I was afraid to AA the entire outline without a little more practice.

I did get lazy with the arms.  I usually draw both arms even if one is covering the other and then erase unwanted lines later so from what you can see of the obscured arm doesn't look deformed.  I guess I'll just have to redraw the arms.  The lazy artist really does end up working the hardest.

I can't see what's grotesque about this, but this isn't the first picture I've drawn that's been called weird, or surreal ever since I changed my style.  I'm just really trying to master the "cute" style that's so popular right now, but I just can't see what I'm doing that weirds people out.

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 02:23:38 am

I fixed the arms and toned down the red.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 10:09:31 pm by Im King Louie »

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:10:56 pm
I've done some highlights, shading, and more detail.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:07 am
I have stared at this for several minutes and I still can't read the face. I can make out some eyelashes and cheeks, but they are severely misplaced and unbalanced. The ears have no ear holes, so it looks like a big solid mass of flesh attached to the skull. I keep trying to make out a nose and mouth, but all I can see is a big shiny off-center blob stuck on the face.

Sorry to be so blunt. The lines are clean, shading is well thought out, and the draftsmanship in general is solid. But the face is a complete mess!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:15:03 pm
@Blumunkee: Agreed. There was always something about that glowing tongue that was bothering me, but now that you mention it... I think the face needs a redo. Maybe rework the position of the head overall.

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:16:28 pm
Before                      After

I toned down the green tongue, got rid of the blushes, moved the whole head down a bit and moved the eyes and mouth around a bit.  Looking over some "cute" drawings I found that noses are not cute so I wont paint a nose on.  The ears were a bit inspired by the Gimp mascot, Wilbur.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:56:44 pm by Im King Louie »

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:50:26 pm
That's better. It reads more like an open mouth now. (I would have never guessed otherwise.)

The eyelashes are still wonky, one curves up, one curves down. They should both probably curve down.

The mouth is still confusing. The outline should probably go all around the mouth, maybe around the teeth too.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 01:31:52 am
Looking much better, IMO. Maybe it's just personal opinion but I think it'd be alright if you brought the blushes back. But more like so, so it's not so clashing:

Cropped it to the head as that's all I edited. Oh, and I fixed the direction of the eyes/lashes. And I also added a tiny stub of a nose. Probably not the best, but oh well.

Offline Im King Louie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 03:32:38 pm
Well I made one eye curve up and one eye curve down because the mouth opens wider on one side and pushes the cheek up which pushes the lower eyelid up making the eye curve up instead of down.  But if I have to explain that, I guess I didn't do it right.