AuthorTopic: SEXY SEXY LADY  (Read 6183 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

SEXY SEXY LADY

on: April 29, 2006, 12:42:34 pm
Ran out of ideas and decided to colour some of my old lines.

Old:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Brute.png
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Brute2.PNG
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/Brute3.PNG

New:

I dunno. I was happy with the skin, then not so much the clothes... but they've kinda grown on me, so she's ok maybe. :P
Crits, comments? They're more than welcome, as always.

(special thanks to David, whose take on these lines got me motivated :D)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:37:01 pm by Tremulant »

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Re: SEXY SEXY LADY

Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 01:02:57 pm
the all-over dithering kinda bones the texture on the shirt to me, and to a lesser extent on the jeans (jeans have texture yeah, but it's usually directional, like a hatched texture) 

Denim tends to ligthen up a lot more in places where you see wear and tear too, like on the knees and ripped parts

I dig a lot of the small details; body hair, warts, etc, but I really had to look to find em at 100%.  Usually stuff like this looks a lot better at 2x
typing ewith fdace

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 02:29:01 pm
Updated minorly.
Thanks for the crits, goat!

I tried to smooth out the shirt, and emphasize the faded...ness... on parts of the jeans without adding too many new colours. I think the shirt looks better now, but the jeans could still use some work. I'm not really sure how to go about it though, so hopefully I'll get to it in time...

I also agree that it looks better at 2x. Any suggestions on making the details more pronounced? I mean, personally I can see them, but then, I put em there, so.. yeah ;D

Oh yeah, I added a colour ramp too. 15+background, unless I'm mistaken (and I often am, soo...)

Oh, and the original lines can be found in the line art thread, if anyone's interested.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 03:15:50 pm
wasting close-to-black shades again!

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 03:29:16 pm
Quote from: helm
wasting close-to-black shades again!

i think that depends ALOT on your screen /screen settings. The blacks works out just fine on my laptop, there's a fair contrast between the darkest colors, you could increase the contrast between the two darkest colours a bit, but as it is, the colors are defenitly justifiable (if that's a word), on my screen atleast.

I really like the overall feel of this one, a few crits: the transition between arm/ shoulder (on the big arm) is a bit strange, espec the angle it's sown on in, the face looks a bit flat compared to the rest, i think it would benefit from greater contrast and better defenition of bright/ dark parts.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 03:39:12 pm
very sexy indeed ;D
i think her third arm should be like a step darker, unless its coming out of the shoulder of the other one, and even then i think some shadows from the head would be there.

have you ever used light brown colors for jeans before? sometimes they have a nice look as highlights. maybe you could use the lightest skintone and see how it would work( i havent tried it on this, but ive seen it done to a nice effect before)

thats all i got.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 03:42:22 pm
vedsten: je suis calibrated

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 04:21:57 pm
it's coloured very well, though i like my meat with more use of the darker shades (it depends on the light situation of course), and also have them be a little less saturated as you decrease the luminousity

i made a quick edit on some parts.
http://miascugh.ptoing.net/pixels/bruteedit1.png

heh, maybe a bit too short and sweet, i've got a nice little hangover and can't quite grasp a clear thought :)

Offline Slainte

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 06:18:21 pm
very nice piece, I really like the way you used dither on the skin tones. Nice color choices also for the skin. thumbs up! ;)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 08:14:03 pm
Thanks guys, updated again. I mainly just desaturated the palette, but I made a few other changes as well. Alot of what's been said will take some more significant effort, so I'll do it when I'm not felling so lazy. I also have a lot of general re-contrasting and palette-fucking to do, but that should be simple enough :)

Helm: Moi aussi, je suis calibrated. I did catch that though, before I posted, and I thought you might notice. ;D Places where the dark and closest-to-dark are together in significant amount (like on the shoes) need both shades as it stands or they look flat. I shall try to work on that though, cause it's gonna bug me now.

Vedsten: I didn't really think about the arm-shoulder thing before. Looks pretty impossible though, now that you mention it. As much as I'd like to fix it, it probably won't happen any time soon, cause that'd mean like a total re-doing of that arm, and I'm, umm, lazy. The face will be getting some serious attention though.

Ryumaru: Actually, when I drew this originally, I figured the second arm was growing out of the top of her shoulder. It does look a bit flat though, and some shadows from the head might help remedy that. I also tried (just now) the skin-as-highlights suggestion and even as is it looked kinda cool (gave the jeans a dirtier, more textured look). It's going to take some significant reworking of the palette, though, so I'll screw with it and see what comes out.

Miascugh: That's an intense edit. I cried a bit on the inside when I saw it (a mix of love and envy?);) I'm going to be using it heavily as a reference for future updates, so much appreciation from me to you for it.

Slainte: Thanks man, I'm glad you like it. Being a fan of the old palette, maybe you can tell me wha you think of the new one from that perspective: a step forward or back?

EDIT:

Updated again, minor minorly (contrast upped). I'd like some feedback on the palette before going further.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 08:38:16 pm by Tremulant »