AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tree Trunk  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Paradachshund

• View Profile

[WIP] Tree Trunk

on: April 03, 2011, 10:46:53 pm
Hello all, this is my first time posting here, as I finally got the courage to post some of my stuff and release to the wolves as it were :)

This is a tree trunk I've been working on. It doesn't have a top and that is intentional. Trees have always been kind of intimidating for me, so this is my attempt to get past that little boundary. I'm not worrying about number of colors for the record, and right now it has 7. Critique away, I'm used to being critiqued and it does not intimidate me :P

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tree Trunk

Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:33:08 am
I'm no expert but I deff think u should start much smaller. work on the larger forms of the tree before u get caught up in texturing. Muck around with some shapes if u want to make it interesting. I dont think there are any tree trunks in rl that get thicker again at the top.
Get some references so u know what kind of tree and how it would look in rl.
Then think about the light source/s and post up with the rough colours blocked out and I'm sure u will get heaps of good help from there.

Offline Paradachshund

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Tree Trunk

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:37:58 pm
I actually did go through the whole process. I blocked it out first, so maybe the WIP tag isn't quite right here because it's more like a "release candidate" haha. I agree with you, though, that it doesn't really look like any earthly tree... I'm making it for a rainforest tileset, and I think part of my problem is that I don't really know what kind of tree I want to have. I actually like the way this one looks, but it doesn't fit in that context very well.