AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sakura sprite  (Read 11964 times)

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Re: [WIP] Sakura sprite

Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 07:09:48 pm
I think this is much more readable and pleasing to the eye. There's still broken outlines in various places but I can live with that, personally. Perhaps you should move on to new sprites?
I'd like to finish this one and try to get it right. I may not get to spend a lot of time on it today though because I need to get my thesis proposal written up but I spent a lot of hours looking over your edits over the last few days to try and understand what I should be aiming toward which is why it's been so long since I've posted something. Once I get all of the colors changed over and such I'll move on, though. I'm also *trying* to arrive at something decent for the closer leg of the left-facing sprite.

Thanks for all of your help, though. It's been invaluable. :)
Jaeda / Jade

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:36 am
Hey Tenshi =) I generally agree with what Helm already said...but the sprite format u chose seemed fun and I kinda felt like editing for old time's sake  =)

Started from Helm's and tried to bring some more depth in it by having bigger blocks of shadow n light, I can already spot some problems with my edit on the pxtion bg but I guess posting it still is more useful than not :p

EDIT: and ANOTHER version:

I really havent changed one bit....edit button was always my love/vice :P
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:42:27 am by Conceit »

Offline Dessa

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 05:33:20 pm
The way you highlight everything makes the sprite overbright and as if its hit by flash photography lighting at that. The selout is outmodded technology which I sincerily suggest to you that you reconsider. What is it achieving that you cannot achieve with other means?

Well, since you offered to explain it, what is the selout (I looked it up, but the answers were unclear), why is it outmoded, and what techniques better achieve a similar effect?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 07:04:59 pm
I wanted to say I find Conceit's edits to be very volumetrically robust. I like them a lot and learn from them also! Thanks.  :y:

As to selout:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2511.0 good intro topic

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5253.0 (sadly dead pkmays links but you get the idea)

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7900.0 excellent discussion again

Offline Dessa

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 08:11:31 pm
Aww, I'm kinda disappointed that my "what is selout?" question didn't kick up a shitstorm like in those links there.  Sadface.

So literally it's "selective outlining", colloquially it's dark broken outlines (esp. against light backgrounds), practically it's just anti-aliasing done badly, or done to specific contexts, and ultimately, it should never, ever, be discussed because nobody knows for certain what it is, or whether it exists.  Did I get the gist?

Would you hate me if I said it looks okay sometimes?  I like Capcom's sprites...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:18:51 pm by Dessa »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:58 pm
I don't particularly care to change your views, just as long as they're educated.

Offline Dessa

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 11:35:57 pm
I don't particularly care to change your views, just as long as they're educated.

Oh, I assure you they're not, but I'm working on it.

Offline Tenshi

• Seraphic Radiance
    • View Profile
    • Tenshi Animetion

Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 10:54:35 pm
And I am back. I meant to have something last week but it took me into the middle of the week to get my proposal to where I wanted it to be.

This is what I have as of today.

I tried to work on fixing the outlines and increasing the resolution of the sprite as well as bringing the blue and gloves into line with the rest of it.

Hi Camus! It has certainly been a long-time-no-see. :) I definitely like the shape you achieved with the shoes and the muscle tone, I need to have a good look at that!
Jaeda / Jade

Offline Dessa

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:52 am
And I am back. I meant to have something last week but it took me into the middle of the week to get my proposal to where I wanted it to be.

This is what I have as of today.

I tried to work on fixing the outlines and increasing the resolution of the sprite as well as bringing the blue and gloves into line with the rest of it.

Hi Camus! It has certainly been a long-time-no-see. :) I definitely like the shape you achieved with the shoes and the muscle tone, I need to have a good look at that!

Looking way better, IMO.  Was this built over the stripped-down edit I sent you in IM? 

The bit between her legs in the "facing us" shot is a little ambigious.  Like It's not clear what that green dot is supposed to be.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 01:01:35 am
The bit between her legs in the "facing us" shot is a little ambigious.  Like It's not clear what that green dot is supposed to be.
I'm pretty sure that's the back flap of her skirt, cast under shadow.

Unless you're talking about something else.